Trouble with Mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyefxr

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a scheppach sliding compound mitre saw, It's a great saw except for one not so small thing. When i release the guard lock and compress the head of the saw to make the cur the guard does not rotate out of the way to allow the cut to take place.
It was always stiff from the work go but now i have to manually rotate the guard a bit to let the cut take place.
Yes the saw is a few years old but it's had only light use. I cant see anything binding or catching. the lever arm that clears the guard away rubs on two steel collars, was thinking of looking for some small ball races as this may hep.
Pictures are below (i hope). It's a bit hard to describe these small parts and what they do.
Does anyone else have this model of saw?

Attachments

• 20210819_140930.jpg
    20210819_140930.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210819_140939.jpg
    20210819_140939.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210819_140946.jpg
    20210819_140946.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 37
That is a similar idea as used on the pre axial glide Bosch saws except they have small wheels on the guard to assist, it is a perfect case of a safety feature making something dangerous. I find the wheels snag on the workpiece and can make the saw snatch as it releases and plunges suddenly.

My Dewalt has a similar affliction, there's nothing binding it's just a design flaw the gearing is wrong but I have developed a stronger grip after years of using it.

My dewalt has a small long spring that operates the guard movement. If you take it aoart, you might find the same.... if so, get a new spring. As mine got worn, i pressed the handle harder ( same as artie ) but eventually it stopped altogether

I agree that the artie that the gearing of the actuator is the cause, but i also understand the the guard has to 'accelerate' near the end of it's travel to clear the blade so allowing the cut.

I have taken the two screws of the actuator arm out, there is a collar that rotates on the screws, the inside is showing signs of wear in the form of a black area that has been rubbing but not all the way round. This means the collar is not revolving on the screw.
I have found some small ball races. 11mm OD*5mm ID*5mm thick, there are a perfect replacement for the collar. I am hoping this allows a smooth transition of the guard.

When they arrive and fitted i will update this post...............finger crossed it works

I have 95% fixed my problem, i bought two 11mm*5mm bearings, About £3.00. I replaced the screws with two cap heads, two large 5mm washer and four 5mm washer to space the bearing away from the saw itself.
I can now use the saw as it should be used. The action is 95% better, the other 5% is the top of the guard release lever needs to be fettled.
Scheppach are sending me a new guard release arm, when that comes i will fettle the old one that way i will have a replacement if i make a mistake.
Sorry the pictures are not more clear.

Even at 95% fix it feels really good. I have tried in the past to do this but never found bearing of the right size, i don't have machining facilities so need the exact size bearing.

20210829_105614.jpg

20210829_105622.jpg

Those little plastic wheels look like the ones on my bosch, as you press down to make a cut nothing moves, bit more pressure and it goes with a lurch, not a very safe safety measure.

Final bit on my story.
The guard actuator arrived today from Sheppach........Plus a needle roller bearing!!! So they knew there was a problem and they made an update to the saw.
How many people out there own the saw i have and are struggling to get a safe easy movement. I appreciate they may not know everyone that bought a new saw but they could inform their outlets, ie. B&Q in my case.
I have kept my upgrade of two bearing and a couple of washers as the it works perfect now.
If this could be put out there would be good.

Back