Trouble using Record Power WG200 wet grinder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlacidCasual

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi peeps

I have a Record Power WG 200 wet grinder and I’m having trouble getting decent results. I noticed last night when using it for one of the first times. I was grinding a 25 degree primary bevel on a plane and noticed the grind was skew. I put a square across the blade and it was out by about 1mm across the blade. I checked the stone and although I had been traversing back and forth the stone was out of true. So this afternoon I true the stone up and using the square side to edge I’m happy with the result there can only be a few thou at most side to side judging by eye with the square.
So I tried again using a chisel and one again it’s clearly out of true with maybe 10 thou + out side to side on a 25mm chisel. Now I stuck a level on the stone and compared to arm and both are plumb on level. I checked the arm to stone using a square to stone side and they seem pretty square (it’s difficult to see well but there is no gross out of alignment). The chisel seems square in the jig checked with a square and is against the stops. It’s difficult for me to know if the jig is true. One has to hope.

Any suggestions of other things to check?

Any help much appreciated

Sometimes its the chisel thats not square.
Rather than keep measuring the wheel and the supporting arm. just move the chisel side to side untill the grind comes true.

Fair point. I found that one of the chisels was cocked in the jig because I’d overtightened once side. The one that is still eluding me is the plane blade but as you say maybe cocking it in the jig might be the answer.

Thx for taking the time to respond much appreciated.

With the chisels it’s less of an issue but for the plane I would imagine if the blade is centred one side won’t cut so I’ll use all the side to side adjustment to correct i, assuming there is enough.
I was straight sharpening the plane blade so I could use it for smoothing rather than camber, so I’m a little worried it might dig if skewed.

And the 10 thou was an eyeball guess I didn’t get my feelers out :oops: it may have been more.

Back