Triton

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi folks,
I saw a Triton video the other day, does anyone know is it really as good as it looks? Why aren't we all using one?
BTW All you lot over at ukwoodworking, I'm still having trouble loging in , John 38 helped me some time ago and it worked for a while but I'm locked out again. Ugh! - Don't laugh Jester, this is really P....ing me off.
Tony

Tony,

Can't help on the Triton, or the UK Woodworking problem, I'm afraid. Have you tried following whatever advice it was John suggested before? I can only suppose you must have altered your browser settings or something. We haven't done anything, as far as I'm aware. Oh, and I'm not laughing. No, really... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Jester

Hi Tony,
I have had a Triton for about 6 years. I now use it ONLY for cross cutting to length (As a sort of Radial saw to get parts to exact length EG. legs.) despite having all the attachments to it. The biggest drawbacks to the Triton are :
The fiddling around to fit your router/saw.
The fiddling around to set the saw up correctly (worse than the adjustments to a conventional sawtable..)
And the messing about, with the table (levelling)
Once you have that right, it's a good tool, but you need space to work around it.

I put mine on a shopmade, table, (on castors) with cupboards and drawers beneath, to stow away all the bits and pieces that come with a complete Triton. The whole cradle can be put under the benchtop, which has a router table (made from 18mm tufnol) recessed into it, so I can easily change from router to overhead saw. The Triton will do everything the video claims, and well. But I much prefer dedicated machines. If I was going from scratch again, I would invest in a top of the range DeWalt Compound Mitre saw.

Best
Woodwayze :)

I agree with everything that woodwayze says about setting up time. If time is not an issue then the triton, coupled with a good saw and router( I used Hitachi) is an excellent piece of kit. I had mine for about 18 months before I outgrew it. I have since tried to get individual tools. The only main problem I found with the saw was that you needed a special fence to rip anything other than 90 deg. or 45 deg. There aren't many table saws for the same price that can boast the same size table as the triton.

I had a Triton 2000 a while back and while I know it has been updated since, I would think very carefully before I bought one. If you really think it’s for you, you should try and get a second-hand model. There are usually plenty available out there, which says something in itself.

One thing I didn't like about my Triton was the very limited cross-cut width just over 100 mm. The biggest thing I didn't like was lack of repeatability and progressive adjustment especially in table saw mode - something I think is essential for accurate work. For example I usually set the saw up and make a test cut. If this was not good enough I'd adjust the saw and make another test cut. This way I would progressively adjust the saw until it was set for a perfect cut. On the Triton, with my Skil saw this was not possible because as soon as I released the saws clamp the weight of the motor would make it fall to its lowest point. This meant I was back to the first test cut once more. Also it's not easy scrabbling around under the table every few minutes.

In the video it all looks very attractive, especially if you stuck for space, but in reality it really isn't quite that easy.
:cry:

Latest posts

Back