Triton TRB001 rack and pinion lock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingcod

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had a Triton TRB001 Router for quite a while and never been satisfied with how it works under my router table. From the very limited instructions I understood it can be raised and lowered easily with the winder set above the table. For me the lock mechanism shown in the centre of the handle here InkedIMG_20210301_171301235_LI.jpgdoesn't seem to disable the rack and pinion. The only way to raise and lowed is to pull in the knurled wheel behind the black handle. Almost impossible to do with the router upside down (and I have already removed the plunge spring).The winder also just turns a few points and then becomes jammed. I tested the 'free plunge' - but whether locked or unlocked I can only move the router up and down by twisting the black handle.

Is my lock mechanism broken? On newer models it seems to have been replaced with a push button.
InkedIMG_20210301_171301235_LI.jpg

It's the orange bit in the middle, push and turn. goes between rack or spring plunge.

And if its in the table, removing the spring is the best thing to do. But fitted in the table you need it on rack because if you dont and release the locking spring, it will just drop down. Unless of course its fitted to a router lift, in which case all adjusters on the machine are redundant.

I use the rack to move it up to change cutters, or after to bring it up to the approximate height, before using the fine adjuster to get it spot on. Trend digital height gauge is ideal for knowing the height and adjusting from set height by zeroing- very handy for scribe and rail cutters.

Last edited:
Hi

Have a TRA001 in my table for several years now and no real issues. I use that side knob for quick raise to change bit or rough set height and then the above table handle for finer adjustment. I cannot see why the TRB should be any different, it is basicaly the same but has a push button. I would take it apart and see whats not working, may be somethings got damaged.

This info may help Dismantling the Triton TRA001 3¼HP Router

Back