Triton TR0001

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beejay

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive just ordered one of the above from Ebay this morning,,seemed too good to be true, but I went ahead anyway.
When I checked the spec again it states it as being 15Amp/3-1/4HP and Im wondering if this is going to cause me a problem?,, please excuse my ignorance of electrical matters.
Also, in Tony's review, it looks as if his model is also the TR001 which according to one member is the Australian model and slightly different spec to the UK model, can Tony confirm that.
Thanks in advance and hope I havent bought a dog here :cry:
Beejay

3 1/4 hp is just short of 2.5 kw (just short of 11 amps);normal ring main is 13 amp.
The problem with some electric motors is that they draw considerably more current on start-up than when they are running - if it is rated as 15A,it may need a dedicated 16A supply to run it from :cry:

Good luck :D

Andrew

The triton router runs quite happily on a normal 13amp plug. a good machine I just noticed one on ebay for £75 brand new have not long payed £200 for mine. :cry: :shock: :shock:

les

les chicken":1suhhjgy said:
The triton router runs quite happily on a normal 13amp plug. a good machine I just noticed one on ebay for £75 brand new have not long payed £200 for mine. :cry: :shock: :shock:

les

Not if it is the Australian model - the UK version has the motor rated a 3HP

beejay":2qsd1nqo said:
Ive just ordered one of the above from Ebay this morning,,seemed too good to be true, but I went ahead anyway.
When I checked the spec again it states it as being 15Amp/3-1/4HP and Im wondering if this is going to cause me a problem?,, please excuse my ignorance of electrical matters.
Also, in Tony's review, it looks as if his model is also the TR001 which according to one member is the Australian model and slightly different spec to the UK model, can Tony confirm that.
Thanks in advance and hope I havent bought a dog here :cry:
Beejay

I am not sure what is wrong with these - I can only assume they are TRA001 not TRB001 the Uk version - but they are cheap let us know

I am not sure what is wrong with these - I can only assume they are TRA001 not TRB001 the Uk version - but they are cheap let us know[/quote]

The model is listed as TRA001--240 volts.
At the price I thought it was a steal,,only time will tell.
Will I be able to get it to work over here do you know?
regards
beejay

Woody Alan":24eubilb said:
Les

Is your machine a TRA or TRB and do you know the difference

Thanks Alan
The model number is stamped on the Plate.
TRA is the australian
TRB is the Uk version.
With the early TRA there were 2 problems - the switch did not work properly and got filled with dust and the 1/4" collect was not great and was replaced.
The switch can be fixed by fitting a platic cover tied at both ends.

Barry

I've been trying to research. I think the early machine also suffered with a plastic worm gear on the adjustment....but if these are the only problems Triton UK should stock as spares hopefully at a reasonable price. Having said that it's by no means certain that these machines are that old to have that fault. But if that's the case why are they for sale in the UK? Hmm Interesting. Don't worry BJ I think the spec is much the same re:- the power/HP for both UK and Aussi machine so it will come down to how old the machine is, and even then shouldn't cost much to upgrade the odd bits.

Cheers Alan

Thaks to you all for the input.
If there are any niggles hopefully they'll be minor ones and easily fixed as you suggest.
I will let you all know when it arrives and if it is indeed the bargain I'm hoping for.
again thanks.
beejay

My router is the 2000w TRB001 and if you check in the tool review section on the triton router by Tony his was a TRA001 purchased at B&Q.

I did some research with triton before buying, the issue with the switch was corrected approx 2 years ago. The switch now has a platic sheath over it. The gearing was altered within the last eighteen months.

There is a shortage in the UK as I stated in the tool review 50 have just been shipped over in the last month the next shipment is Christmas. They are not the latest model which has a red arrow on the handle and serations for a better grip.

Les

Hi

I e-mailed Triton UK service in Wales and got this reply today.

"TRA &TRB are the same part number A is for Australia & B is for Britain there no difference in the router."

I realise it may look like a repeat of some above posts but the phrase "NO DIFFERENCE" is the bit I thought might help.

Cheers Alan

Woody Alan":60m5f3os said:
Barry

I've been trying to research. I think the early machine also suffered with a plastic worm gear on the adjustment....but if these are the only problems Triton UK should stock as spares hopefully at a reasonable price. Having said that it's by no means certain that these machines are that old to have that fault. But if that's the case why are they for sale in the UK? Hmm Interesting. Don't worry BJ I think the spec is much the same re:- the power/HP for both UK and Aussi machine so it will come down to how old the machine is, and even then shouldn't cost much to upgrade the odd bits.

Cheers Alan
You have to buy the spares from a retailer such as Woodworking centre - Triton do not sell direct.

Woody Alan":23y0s3sl said:
Hi

I e-mailed Triton UK service in Wales and got this reply today.

"TRA &TRB are the same part number A is for Australia & B is for Britain there no difference in the router."

I realise it may look like a repeat of some above posts but the phrase "NO DIFFERENCE" is the bit I thought might help.

Cheers Alan
I would ask Triton Australia most of the people at Triton UK are new.
There were differences to get the CE mark from the Aussie version - thats what I was told but prior management

Maybe the Australian ones are like water down the plughole and they rotate in the opposite direction if you use them up in the Northern Hemisphere :lol:

Well, the Triton arrived this morning!!
It was still in the original shrink wrap so it was indeed brand spanking new.
The box shows it as model TRA001 yet when I pulled out the machine the label shows it as model TRB001 and its fitted with a 13amp plug.
The on/off switch has a sprung sliding cover as per the model in Tony's review.
The depth stop is the new type knob with brass post.
It was supplied with Instructions, fence.spanner, two colletts and Triton straight bit.
The instructions show the UK agent as Triton workshop Systems in Caerphilly South Wales.
The machine label shows date of manufacture as 0427 so not sure when that was.
Label also showsSer No 01349 and also 8000-2000rpm/2000W.
Final check was to switch on,,,, and,,,, yes it works.
Not too noisey compared to my other machines either.
So,,,It would appear to be OK but I still dont know if the model is an early one and will have the problems mentioned in the earlier replies.
I would love to know and hopefully the information supplied will enable you more qualified guys to enlighten me.
Finally, I was very impressed with the speed of delivery and of course the price which worked out at £90.00 incl VAT and delivery.
Look forward to haering from you again
beejay
http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Beejay
0427 is week 27 of 2004
All the mods should have been done by then.
You got a bargin.
Did it have a whitr label on the outside of the box covering the original Triton bar code??
If it did it came from B&Q

beejay":26f7ak3l said:
Yes Barry the barcode label is partially covered with a white sticker.
Why would the supplier be selling B&Q stock i wonder?
beejay

Triton had to replace their bar code with the B&Q one so it comes from B&Q originally. There stock control is not good so I am told, product seems to disappear.
Good routing you have got a very good router.

Thanks for the info Barry. I guess I should inform B&Q of this :lol: ,,,,But I wont.
I'll keep my eyes open for the next deal from this nice ebay trader and hope its as good as this one.
Thanks again to you all for your contributions and to Tony for that excellent review which got me thinking about the Triton in the first place.
beejay

Back