Triton TR0001

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beejay":2n09tity said:
Thanks for the info Barry. I guess I should inform B&Q of this :lol: ,,,,But I wont.
I'll keep my eyes open for the next deal from this nice ebay trader and hope its as good as this one.
Thanks again to you all for your contributions and to Tony for that excellent review which got me thinking about the Triton in the first place.
beejay
http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

And so receipt fraud is perpetuated.

[And so receipt fraud is perpetuated.[/quote]

hardly jake.
The reputation the dealer had was extremely good and has been trading for a long time so its unlikely he is selling dodgy gear. The product was bought via a reputable channel and if other equally good deals present themselves then I would probably have a punt,,wouldnt you?
beejay

Beejay

I am very happy for you and your purchase, mainly because after you first mentioned about the router I looked into it. Then as I always do I went through the sellers other items and check what actual previous transactions he has made. I drew the conclusion it was B&Q stock from all the other B&Q items he is selling also. The informed will know that B&Q are closing a number of stores across the country, fact not rumour and conclude the sale to be as stated ex stock from closing companies to be sound. So I bought one too :lol:
I see no reason to imply that I or anyone else is supporting illegal activity by getting a good deal of ebay. I actually think the seller didn't quite know the value of what he was selling on this particular item, because he states normally retails at £190 in the write up splurge.Wheras some of his other items are higher priced. Also many of the other items were performance pro stuff only available from B&Q so he wouldn't be brain of Britain if they were nicked would he?

Cheers Alan

I am thrilled to bits, like you I was a bit nervous as to why the low price, which is why I think it was still sitting there when people were bidding more for used ones. I thought it would be bought whilst I was checking out the seller but...
It is a big brute indeed, I have had a little fiddle and the design concept for adjustment is great. This will now go in my, to be modified table, and release my Freud for a woodrat if I can get it past the chief finance officer.

P.S. I paid £84 inc fast delivery

I have another little purchase which I'll put in a seperate thread as it may be of general interest (another member already knows of it) also from ebay, with a good saving. I went down to their factory and the man who started the busines in the war is 84 and still works for his son. They are very nice people/ebayers

Cheers Alan

You guys have one super gloat :shock:

As I said I have not long payed £200 pounds odd for mine. I nearly bid for the one that Woody bought but he beat me to it while I was thinking if it was a genuine buy. You can only use one at a time :roll: :wink: .

Wait till you get it in the table and put a decent cut then you will be smiling even more.

Les

Whatever you want to believe I guess. I'd remain very sceptical about its provenance -what did he say about it when you asked?

I don't buy new stuff on Ebay unless the seller is also a real life shop, because of the receipt fraud /shoplifting thing. I do buy second-hand goods, and I guess it is almost certain on the odds that I've received stolen goods.

What the guy's trading record has to do with it, I don't know. Doesn't take much to satisfy customers if you can punt out Tritons at £90 a hit...

Good deal for you, anyway.

Whatever you want to believe I guess. I'd remain very sceptical about its provenance -what did he say about it when you asked?
So you want to throw a disparaging half insult and expect someone to entertain answering you with further information. I think not, others will draw their own conclusions from reading the full context of this thread you may do well, to do the same . I withdraw there is no more to add.

Alan

I think not, others will draw their own conclusions from reading the full context of this thread you may do well, to do the same .

Listen, I don't care. It is your choice, anyway. I just don't believe anyone can sell new Tritons in the real world for £90. Maybe I'm too suspicious.

If you are concerned you could always ask B&Q - they'll have a record of whether it was sold off or whatever.

Jake, I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions. The retail markup on items at full list price can be very big, and does leave scope for huge discounts while still remaining profitable.
I happen to know of one example, not in the tool trade admittedly, where items retail in a large national chain at £75 per pair. The importer gets them in bulk for 0.57p each, landed in the UK, taxes paid. From China of course.
I know this because an ex-colleague has left his well-paid job and set up in business retailing these items direct.

Jake":2kbc0huy said:
If you are concerned you could always ask B&Q - they'll have a record of whether it was sold off or whatever.

B&Q are well aware of the problem but they say it is the cost of doing business. They know of the router & saw (Triton) problem but they have similar with other high priced items. The scam is I go in and buy a Triton router for £239. I take it to the car and go back in with the receipt and get another and show the receipt on exit (told to me by a number of B&Q employees)
You must also be aware that neither B&Q or Triton track serial numbers so Triton does not have a clue where you bought your goods from. They rely on your receipt.
There are usually two or three Tritons a week on Ebay from this source.

Max,,you're on the right track. My previous role was as Buying Manager for a mail order company and this meant regular trips to the far east with the buyers to buy all the electrical products including power tools. The factory gate >retail price difference in many cases is quite staggering so aprice of £90 for the Triton originally at £249 is quite feasible. Admittedly, theres little profit at that level but in a clearance operation the objective is high volume not high margin and this trader seems to shift a lot goods. Also he uses margin mix very effectively when you look at the diversity of products he offers.
In response to Jake I am delighted and feel no guilt and can only advise you consider a less cynical outlook to life. I would reckon that just about anyone buying a Triton at £90 would be delighted with such a deal.
beejay

I checked out the seller Toolbay that sells Triton goods on Ebay and their source I am told was a container legally bought that went missing and subject to an insurance claim. Triton have also checked their source.

I'm very glad this was legitimate. And yes, as I said, you got a great deal.

Calling it a cynical outlook is probably right - I am cynical enough to think that most "new" "bargains" like this on Ebay are either knock-offs or stolen goods.

Back