Triton TPT125

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlFuller

Reaction score
Hi guys pretty new here ,

I own the Triton TPT125 I am not to sure if its just me or bad luck ,My first one I received was cracked on the lift casting so at to send that one back ,And I have a replacement which does not seem to be much better it dont have any cracks or anything like that but ,its seems to have a mind of its own I set the height to plan and the handel starts turning itself down is that normal ~?

Also I was planning some hard wood looks like white oak I think ,and it's just tearing the wood to bits not really planning and I am not trying to take off that much at any one time , I checked the blades and they seem blunt so tried turning them and the other side is seems blunt too I am starting to wonder if they have sent me a return planner . But why is the wood tearing hard to explain
IMG_2514.JPG
IMG_2515.JPG
IMG_2516.JPG
IMG_2518.JPG

Hiya
I had exactly the same issue, great advice from here as always.
- check extraction
- sharpen blades or get new ones
- check table alignment
- check blade settings
Etc etc

In the end I send it back!

doesn't look right that - where are they coming from, did triton send you the replacement or the vendor?

I, too, have the same problem, with my Triton thicknesser, of the blade height changing while the machine is running. It only occurs during the times when no wood is being put through, that is between pieces, which is a bit annoying if you are trying to get several pieces to the same thickness. I haven't figured out the best way to stop it yet.
Tearout is common with blunt knives and cutting against the grain. It happens with hand planes as well.
The design of the Triton is a common one. Our Men's Shed has a very old Jet brand thicknesser and it is virtually identical apart from the cutter design. Other brands look similar as well indicating a common source ( China).
Nigel

Could be the machine, but…

That’s laminated board, so one piece might be in an ideal orientation for planing, the piece next to it could be in the worst possible, hence the breakout.

Laminated board is also rarely made from high quality stock.

Hiya
I had exactly the same issue, great advice from here as always.
- check extraction
- sharpen blades or get new ones
- check table alignment
- check blade settings
Etc etc

In the end I send it back!

Hi Thank you for the reply

The blades to me did not seem sharp as one would think out of the box,

doesn't look right that - where are they coming from, did triton send you the replacement or the vendor?

As far as I am aware it came from the vendor .

I, too, have the same problem, with my Triton thicknesser, of the blade height changing while the machine is running. It only occurs during the times when no wood is being put through, that is between pieces, which is a bit annoying if you are trying to get several pieces to the same thickness. I haven't figured out the best way to stop it yet.
Tearout is common with blunt knives and cutting against the grain. It happens with hand planes as well.
The design of the Triton is a common one. Our Men's Shed has a very old Jet brand thicknesser and it is virtually identical apart from the cutter design. Other brands look similar as well indicating a common source ( China).
Nigel

I never thought about that cutting against the grain ,

Could be the machine, but…

That’s laminated board, so one piece might be in an ideal orientation for planing, the piece next to it could be in the worst possible, hence the breakout.
Laminated board is also rarely made from high quality stock.

Yes its old oak flooring salvaged wood ,

Just been to check mine - which is, basically, New and hasn't yet had a lot of use. In regards to the height adjustment handle; it doesn't move while the machine is running and no wood being put through.

You don't say how long you've had it. As you have said it is a replacement for a previous one because of the cracked case, were the parts such as the dust extractor hood and the magnets (for use when changing the blades) still in plastic bags - and the magnets sealed in down in a corner of the bag (so they couldn't be lost I transit) when you opened the box? Also the handle would have been in it's own plastic bag with a rubber band round it to hold it in place. If not then I'd say the machine you have has been in use elsewhere before you got it.

Either way... if it was me I'd be back in touch with the vendor and inform them of these issues - loose handle moving, blunt blades etc., and ask for another new replacement or a refund. When sending back (having it collected at their expense) put a note in the box stating the issues with it. Triton give a 3 year warranty on these if you register it on line so the issues you have shouldn't be taken lightly.

+1 for The Tiddles point, that is a glued up board made of short blocks like a kitchen countertop. As such these rely on the glue to do their thing and as the manufacturer uses a wide belt sander to get the size and finish they need, they have no need to consider the grain orientation of the blocks before glue up. You therefore end up with the grain going in almost every direction and this is basically the same as having a really gnarly/knotty grained piece of exotic hardwood. Tearout is a fact of life when using "real" wood and is compensated for by sharpness and skill in the main.
You have been unlucky that you are using a machine that could really do with the blades being sharpened or replaced and have a bit of brittle dry low quality oak in the middle of the board glued in in the opposite grain direction to everything else. Either fill and sand or put in a dutchman to cover the fact

Just been to check mine - which is, basically, New and hasn't yet had a lot of use. In regards to the height adjustment handle; it doesn't move while the machine is running and no wood being put through.

You don't say how long you've had it. As you have said it is a replacement for a previous one because of the cracked case, were the parts such as the dust extractor hood and the magnets (for use when changing the blades) still in plastic bags - and the magnets sealed in down in a corner of the bag (so they couldn't be lost I transit) when you opened the box? Also the handle would have been in it's own plastic bag with a rubber band round it to hold it in place. If not then I'd say the machine you have has been in use elsewhere before you got it.

Either way... if it was me I'd be back in touch with the vendor and inform them of these issues - loose handle moving, blunt blades etc., and ask for another new replacement or a refund. When sending back (having it collected at their expense) put a note in the box stating the issues with it. Triton give a 3 year warranty on these if you register it on line so the issues you have shouldn't be taken lightly.

Hi

The handle turns when I am putting wood through ,As far as I can remember all parts were in the box and
packaging , I got the planner on the 05.05.21 ,

+1 for The Tiddles point, that is a glued up board made of short blocks like a kitchen countertop. As such these rely on the glue to do their thing and as the manufacturer uses a wide belt sander to get the size and finish they need, they have no need to consider the grain orientation of the blocks before glue up. You therefore end up with the grain going in almost every direction and this is basically the same as having a really gnarly/knotty grained piece of exotic hardwood. Tearout is a fact of life when using "real" wood and is compensated for by sharpness and skill in the main.
You have been unlucky that you are using a machine that could really do with the blades being sharpened or replaced and have a bit of brittle dry low quality oak in the middle of the board glued in in the opposite grain direction to everything else. Either fill and sand or put in a dutchman to cover the fact

Hi

Yes I understand what you are saying .

Hi

The handle turns when I am putting wood through ,As far as I can remember all parts were in the box and
packaging , I got the planner on the 05.05.21 ,

Hi

Yes I understand what you are saying .
The handle shouldn't move/rotate whether wood is being put through or not.
As to the wood tear out that's been explained.
Contact the vendor to return for another replacement or refund. I wouldn't be trying to work with it when it has a height setting unit that is faulty.

The handle shouldn't move/rotate whether wood is being put through or not.
As to the wood tear out that's been explained.
Contact the vendor to return for another replacement or refund. I wouldn't be trying to work with it when it has a height setting unit that is faulty.

I got in touch with the vendor and it's getting swapped over monday ,I hope that one is okay this will be number 3 ,If this one as anything wrong with it ill be getting a refund I think and go for the dewalt planer .

I got in touch with the vendor and it's getting swapped over monday ,I hope that one is okay this will be number 3 ,If this one as anything wrong with it ill be getting a refund I think and go for the dewalt planer .
Good to hear 👍

Personally I've not found anything wrong with it for the price and it gets pretty good reviews on YouTube - and soon sells out. Obviously I don't know who the vendor is so hope the new replacement will be 👌. If not maybe try a different vendor - if they have stock. I got mine from Yandles but their website shows out of stock at present. Wish you good fortune with the new one.

Ciao, sto cercando aiuto per la mia pialla Triton e poiché questo forum discute di questo modello, spero che possiate darmi una mano. Ho già provato a creare un argomento separato, ma ho ricevuto poche risposte e nessuno dei partecipanti sembra possedere la stessa pialla Triton. La mia macchina ha smesso di funzionare ormai da una settimana. Quando provo ad accenderlo, noto una piccola scintilla e fa immediatamente scattare l'interruttore di casa mia. Ho provato a cambiare le lame e le spazzole del motore, ma il problema persiste. Ho notato anche che i rulli, che a motore spento dovrebbero guidare il legno, non funzionano, mentre il rullo a lame gira dolcemente senza problemi. Un altro utente ha suggerito di rimuovere la cinghia di trasmissione e verificare se il motore funziona. Ci proverò oggi. Nel frattempo avete altre soluzioni o suggerimenti che potrebbero aiutarmi? Grazie mille.

Back