Triton TPT125 snipe and rubber marks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will3344

Reaction score
sketch-1567553247759.png

Hi
New here and this is my first post. I'm looking for some advice as I got a brand new thicknesser the Triton TPT125 and I'm getting about 2.5 to 3in of snipe at both Ends of the wood so looking to minimize this.

This next one is strange to me but I ran some redwood through the machine and some went through fine but but a couple of the boards seemed to get stuck an I had to pull them through the machine but they where coming out with really deep snipe and black rubber transfer from what I can only assume is from the rollers any ideas why this is happening???

Thanks

Attachments

• sketch-1567553247759.png
    sketch-1567553247759.png
    2 MB · Views: 720
The snipe is caused (mostly) by the wood tilting as it goes in and comes out of the machine. If you can make a longer flat and well supported surface for the wood to slide along it will almost disappear.

The rubber marks on one side only show the wood is sloped and would most likely be caused by not taking enough of a bite on the wood. Try increasing the cut very slightly.

If that doesnt cure the problem, check the cutting blades alignment

Resinous pine sticks to the bed of the planer you need to wax the bed to help it slide through, any paste wax will do.

Pete

Racers":y6t09n2a said:
Resinous pine sticks to the bed of the planer you need to wax the bed to help it slide through, any paste wax will do.

Pete
Completely agree with Pete, - almost certainly the cause. I always clean first with a white spirit rag to get as much 'gunk' off as possible then a generous wax and polish and jobs a good 'un.

Also something to do on a regular basis not wait until timber starts sticking.

As above, wax the bed, the difference is night and day.

As for the snipe, I haven't found a way to resolve it. Having a longer bed didn't help for me (not sure why it would, as it's not going to stop the piece lifting). It seems that most of the snipe comes from movement in the cutter head assembly as you go from one roller to two rollers (and back again). The more expensive planers have a lock mechanism so the assembly will not move.

Understanding-Reducing-Snipe.jpeg

There are workarounds though.

- Feeding in scrap before and after
- Tilting the piece (produces more of a falloff)
-Having your final passes be very fine, so it's not a noticeable

Have a look on youtube for reducing planer snipe

I've greatly reduced snipe on my jet thicknesser, by removing the fold down trays, and making a 4 ft long bed that goes through the machine. Notice I didnt say "eliminated", but greatly reduced.

You can prove the point anytime, by running a long plank through and leaning down slightly on the wood when it comes out, note the increased snipe.
Then run it through again and lift the outgoing end slightly, and see how much the snipe is reduced
A thicknesser with a lockable cutter head AND long in and out tables will cure all such problems.

sunnybob":a10kq35q said:
I've greatly reduced snipe on my jet thicknesser, by removing the fold down trays, and making a 4 ft long bed that goes through the machine. Notice I didnt say "eliminated", but greatly reduced.

You can prove the point anytime, by running a long plank through and leaning down slightly on the wood when it comes out, note the increased snipe.
Then run it through again and lift the outgoing end slightly, and see how much the snipe is reduced
A thicknesser with a lockable cutter head AND long in and out tables will cure all such problems.
It's interesting how different people approach the same problem and get different results. I've had an axi lunchbox thicknesser for years (with lockable head) and just got used to the snipe. One day I thought I'd put a longer bed on it and help reduce it, - if anything it got worse! Go figure.

The only thing I've found that helps is to slightly lift the trailing edge on the way in (until cutter head well engaged) and lift the leading edge on the way out. Reduces but doesn't eliminate.

I just plan for snipe now and put up with what can be quite a lot of waste.

The only way I've been able to almost completely eliminate it is to feed another piece in immediately behind. I think snipeless thicknessing is something of a holy grail.

Guy thanks for the advice I'll give it all ago and see what works best I've just order some wax and I'll knock up a longer bed to give that a go as well. And transatlantic that illustration is helpful thanks

Thanks guys

Latest posts

Back