Triton TPT125 Planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameronhill97

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi been looking for a thickness planer and came across the Triton TPT125 Planer from screwfix for £279. just wondering if anyone has any experience with this planer and how it performs with hardwoods.

Hi. I've been looking long and hard at this machine myself and think l am definitely going to go for it. I was originally looking at the Makita 2012NB but have bulked a bit at the price, especially when l think how much use it will get. I did a lot of research on the net and YouTube and the Triton comes out really well and is excellent value for the money. Also, look on eBay and you'll find it, brand new, for as low as £255. Sorry Screwfix but you are no where near as competitive as you used to be!!!

I've got the scheppach version of the same thing and it's fine for my use. I don't need to use one very much and it's fine for my requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many thanks for the tip, £240 is a great price and you can't beat the reviews. My only slight worry is the snipe that seems to occur, but then l guess that happens with the best of machines. Before a get the credit card out, does anyone have any other suggestions in this price bracket? Cheers, Mike.

Snipe does not happen with my Kity 439 and that cost me under a half of the Triton on e-bay, I think snipe occurs due to the size/length of the thicknessing bed or pulling the timber out and up off the bed before it has cleared the blades, it can also be caused by trying to take too much off with one pass.

Mike

Hi all. I have just purchased the Triton TPT125 and thanks to 'pike' l bought it via Amazon for £240. I will report back with what l think as soon as. Cheers, Mike.

should have really got an used makita for the same price if only a thickness planer is what you are after.

or an Used metabo hc260 or their equilevent if you also need a proper planer AND a proper thicknesser for more or less the same price..

a bit of wasted money in my book for much inferiour product..

also remember online reviews must be taken with a pinch of a salt, because there is 99% of the chance that the buyers of the items simply haven't used better products and don't even know what they are missing and how a good product should even perform!
& in this day and age when you have ebay and you can get more or less hardly used items for half of the price you would be mad to buy new ones, would buy a quality used proper machine over the same price but brand new inferiour machine any day of the week + there is a lot to be said about resale values as well if you ever decide to upgrade, you can get more or less the same price back for an used item when you sell it on..

owsnap":2xbzas6v said:
should have really got an used makita for the same price if only a thickness planer is what you are after.

or an Used metabo hc260 or their equilevent if you also need a proper planer AND a proper thicknesser for more or less the same price..

a bit of wasted money in my book for much inferiour product..

also remember online reviews must be taken with a pinch of a salt, because there is 99% of the chance that the buyers of the items simply haven't used better products and don't even know what they are missing and how a good product should even perform!
& in this day and age when you have ebay and you can get more or less hardly used items for half of the price you would be mad to buy new ones, would buy a quality used proper machine over the same price but brand new inferiour machine any day of the week + there is a lot to be said about resale values as well if you ever decide to upgrade, you can get more or less the same price back for an used item when you sell it on..

If everyone thought that way, there would never be any second hand machines to buy. #-o

Mike

owsnap, he's bought it from amazon so if anything goes wrong, chances are they will sort it. 2nd hand isn't for everyone.

Mike W, get some ear protection, these things are noisy!

Carl

Thanks mikejhn. l actually wouldn't have minded a second hand Makita or Dewalt but there were several issues, the first is they actually don't come up very often, l know because I've had a search on one for about six months. The next problem is the majority of the ones that do are 110v (usually knackered!) and then when the ideal one comes up it's in Aberdeen!

I'm quite happy to accept that most feedbacks are genuine and good reviews, I've left many a review hoping it's helpful to others. I'm usually more than happy to buy secondhand from eBay but in this case l just wanted an occasional use machine that wasn't going to break the bank and as pike says, if it goes wrong it's straight back to Amazon.

Thanks pike for the tip about the ear defenders, l borrowed a friends thicknesser and boy was it noisy too!

Cameronhill97 - Did you end up getting the Triton?

Cheers.

Hi all. Got my Triron TPT125 yesterday and so far l am extremely impressed. It's well made and finished, l know there has been criticisms about it having plastic sides but to be honest l think it's nicer (certainly better finished than the Clarke) and appears to have plenty of power. I've put it through its paces with some redwood, Idigbo and some oak and l have to say again I'm extremely impressed because it all came out clean, flawless, didn't struggle with the oak and, much to my supprise, with very little snipe!

Having borrowed a Clarke thicknesser from a friend to try l was left wondering if l really wanted to have one as l didn't like it and it led me on to thinking that I should go for a more expensive one like a Makita. Well at half the price, £240, this machine is worth much more and performs perfectly well. Now, it may not stand up to the riggers of site work like a Makita but then that's not what it was bought for, also it has to be said that it's noisy, but then they all are so just get good ear protection and send a bottle of wine over the the neighbours. I already have a Record PT107 thicknesser/ planer but as good as it is, it not the best for smaller pieces and final finishing of some softer woods so the Triton will be a great addition and l know will get a lot of use.

Would l recommend the TPT125? Yes definitely, for the money I'm more than happy :D , Cheers, Mike.

Glad it's working well for you Mike! Didn't realise you already had a P/T :)

Hi pike. Yes it's working really well thanks. I replaced my previous thickness/planer and upgraded to the PT107 about a year ago and although it's a great machine and copes with anything you can throw at it, l do have one problem and that is that metal surrated in feed roller on the thicknesser marks softer wood. If you take a deep enough cut it removes the marks but when you want a light cut the marks remain so that's the reason for the TPT125. I'd like to know if anyone else has had the same trouble. Why Record didn't use a rubber coated roller l don't know. Cheers, Mike.

Mike

Just to be absolutly clear, are you saying the Triton TPT125 has rubber coated in-feed and out-feed rollers?

Mike

Hi Mike.
Have just checked and yes, the Triton definitely has rubber in-feed and out-feed rollers. The more l use this machine the more l like it. Storage l thought would be a problem, it being so heavy, so l made a rolling base that l can roll out of the cupboard to the bench and then just lift the machine up onto the bench. Works a treat.

Cheers, Mike.

Mike

Thanks for that, don't know why all manufacturers can't make the rollers rubber covered, why not put locking castors on your base, then you can use it insitu, make the rolling base high enough that with the infeed table at its lowest point is level with your bench that will give you lots of options on the outfeed.

Link for castors: http://www.castors-online.co.uk/acatalo ... tml#SID=39

Mike

Am thinking of getting the Triton TPT125 Thicknessers as a home DIYer and this fits my budget

I have seen on various sites similar devices which are Ticknesser and Planers

My question is does this device perform both Thicknessers and Planer?

thanks

Despite the title the Triton is a thicknesser and does not allow planing in the true sense of the description of a planer thicknesser, the planing function is carried out on the bed and and against the fence to obtain a right angle between two sides of the workpiece, this then allows machining to a desired thickness on the inside bed of the thicknesser, you need a straight edge before you start with this type of machine.

Hi Matthew.

The Triton TPT125 is an excellent machine and I’ve been extremely happy with mine. It’s well built, very robust and doesn’t feel cheap. It’s a weighty piece of kit, which good and to change the blades, which are double sided, is easy-peasy . It is however only a thicknesser and is, by its very nature a very, very noisy machine (they all are) so, if you’ve never used one, be prepare! I can certainly recommend the Triton. Hope this helps, Mike.

Back