Triton TPT125 Planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I've had the Triton thicknesser for two years now and am happy with it. The rubber covered feed rollers grip the workpiece well but need to be kept clean, I've had to wipe them with IPA or meths after planing some sappy timber, they can get sticky and then pick up wood dust and lose their grip. Not the machines fault but me using cheap timber.

theres an x-demo one on ebay now for 200 for anyone interested

mine was fine right up until it failed, suspect motor burned out, was pushing it a bit. i think 1100w is under powered, rumor has it that it is getting replaced in the new year with an 1800w version, might be tempted to give it another shot if that happens.

i like the style of these machines because the infeed outfeed height remains the same meaning you can set up rollers. i have a big planer joiner and of course its the reverse so now i just use the joiner and use one of these to thickness

Replacements are £27 a set so its not worth paying anyone to, I wouldn't try to as there is no adjustment on blade position because they fit on locating pins (which makes it a very quick change to new blades).

What's wrong with Aberdeen? It's produced some great things over the years - like me! Okay, I take your point.

Re: Planing. As noted, it is a thicknesser however with the use of a sled it can be used to plane one side flat then flip it over to get the final thickness. Even when thicknessing I like to use the sled as it pretty much eliminates snipe.

"Better" is relative. I had a Elektra HC260, purchased from a forum member. In his hands, it was a formidable piece of kit. In mine? Well, it claimed a fingertip after which I lost confidence to use it so now another forum member is now the (hopefully) happy owner of it and ten full digits. Clearly, the HC260 is a far more capable machine but with a little thought and application I can get the same - or better, in my case - results from the Triton. I also occupies far less space in my tiny workshop so it is a much 'better' machine for my needs.

From the latest MensSheds magazine -
As a UKMSA member Shed, you can enjoy:
 49% off hand tools and 29% off power tools with Triton Tools
 22.5% on initial orders over £1200 and 10% off thereafter with
Lumberjack Tools
 5% off orders with Axminster Tools & Machinery
 5% off orders over £200 with Shedstore

it might be worth looking into for anyone thinking to buy Triton who has access to a Mens Shed.

Yes, the blades are double sided and very easy to change. The blades sit in pins so do not need setting up. The Triton is an excellent planer, just a bit noisy but then they all are. Hope this helps..

I have the tpt125 and have been happy with it. I'm no expert though. Blades can be picked up for cheap on eBay. I've not experienced snipe when I use a longer sled.

It needs good extraction though. I use a shop vac and it clogs very quick.

Living in Spain anything purchase outside of the EU these days and you get hit with additional charges. Sometimes these can be more than the original cost of the item. I now know I can turn my blades over which hopefully will outlast this pandemic when I can make my annual trips to the UK armed with a shopping list.

Despite the title the Triton is a thicknesser and does not allow planing in the true sense of the description of a planer thicknesser, the planing function is carried out on the bed and and against the fence to obtain a right angle between two sides of the workpiece, this then allows machining to a desired thickness on the inside bed of the thicknesser, you need a straight edge before you start with this type of machine.
This is exactly right however using a sled you can use your thicknesser to plane your board to get a flat face which you then can reference from for thicknessing. Just search on YouTube "use my planer as a jointer" (yes, 'murica 🙄)

Back