Triton routers for under a table - Quick TRA query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not if you remove the cover as described in the link above

Having had a close encounter with a planer thicknesser I'd rather not bypass a built in safety feature intended to safeguard my precious digits. I don't find it an issue to reach under and switch it off, certainly much less than I would with no fingers.

z
Having had a close encounter with a planer thicknesser I'd rather not bypass a built in safety feature intended to safeguard my precious digits. I don't find it an issue to reach under and switch it off, certainly much less than I would with no fingers.
I'm not sure how it safeguards your digits.
When the machine is mounted in a table the switch cover does 2 things:
- it prevents you from switching on the machine with the spindle locked - that would only damage the machine
- it prevents you from locking the spindle whilst the machine is running - that can only happen if you're winding the bit up with the machine running, which i assume you would never do, I certainly wouldn't

If you are using the machine handheld it prevents you from plunging to the depth where the spindle lock engages. That is a useful and necessary feature, but is irrelevant when the machine is in the table.

I also didn't find it an issue, I lived with it for several years. Biggest issue I had with it was forgetting to switch it back on after a bit change.

Has anyone mounted the Triton router in a UKJ universal plate? The last time I enquired the base of the router was to big to fix with the 4 lugs of the UKJ plate, is there a workaround without butchering either to get them to fit together.

I assume the UJK plate is not the same size as the Kreg plate which is 235 by 298mm because the Triton fits that plate without interference issues. As for the safety features, and I have said this before they are not required because a) We are sensible people that always check the router cutter is free to rotate before turning it on and b) it is dangerous to just rely on that switch, no good in an emergency where you want to turn it off fast. So removing the interlock so the switch can remain left on and still fitted by using a remote on/off is better, and better still a remote DOL type starter with an E stop in the circuit.

Concerning safety and bypassing any switches, I was going to bypass the interlock on my TRA001 had I gotten to the point where I was going to start using it. When I change the cutter in my router table, change the blade in my table saw, or work on any equipment that has whirly cutty bits, except the drill press, I always unplug them from the mains. I don't change cutters that often while I'm using the router table, but it takes a second to unplug it before raising the lift so I can access the collet.

This was drilled into me during my military years, and the penalty for getting caught not taking this extra safety measure was severe. Some old habits are good, at least for me.

Is it still a good idea to wire the router through an NVR switch even if leaving the cover on? I'm just thinking of those times where I'd rather switch it off quickly rather than having to lean under the table.

Is it still a good idea to wire the router through an NVR switch even if leaving the cover on? I'm just thinking of those times where I'd rather switch it off quickly rather than having to lean under the table.

I would definitely install the NVR, with an easy to access OFF button, for your router.

I tried to find one with a socket and large paddle or plunger for the OFF button, but this is something that will work and doesn't require modifying the existing cable on your router.

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-bs-13a-plug-socket-nvr-switch-103621

Yes definitely.
As well as giving you the ability to stop the machine much more quickly in an emergency you will be able to use the NVR to start and stop the machine until the time comes to change the bit, that's the only time that the switch cover comes into play.

Has anyone installed a Triton router in a UKJ universal plate, it doesn't look like the base of the router will suit the UKJ fixing lugs.

Did the same and it was no problem at all. It folds down flat against the worktop when not in use and made good use of an old formica topped kitchen table.

Attachments

• 2017-11-20 12.17.32.jpg
    2017-11-20 12.17.32.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 2017-11-10 13.46.54.jpg
    2017-11-10 13.46.54.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 20
z

I'm not sure how it safeguards your digits.
When the machine is mounted in a table the switch cover does 2 things:
- it prevents you from switching on the machine

Precisely, thus safeguardig my digits from being shredded should it somehow power up all by itself. Unlikely I know but still better safe than sorry. Besides, I'm pretty certain tinkering with the wiring would invalidate Triton's very decent warranty and as I've had to make use of that twice I'm glad I didn't do something to invalidate it.

Certainly is. I have mine mounted LHS of table and it's quick and easy to switch on/off. Especially useful when routing out a through-channel away from any edges, eg for a bolt to pass through/travel along, and want to keep one hand on the workpiece to prevent the cutter from catching and hurling it into orbit!

Also an NVR is dual pole, the switch in the router (nearly all routers) are only single pole, if the plug has been incorrectly wired there is a possibility of the router still being live when switched off from in inbuilt single pole switch.

Hi

The sole safety purpose of an NVR switch or DOL is simply to prevent the machine restarting following loss of supply, the point people are missing is that, that switch is ok for handheld use but in a table it becomes surplus. The control switch should be easily accessable without fumbling under the table so you are able to control the machine at all times in a safe maner.

Having lived with the TRA001 for a few weeks now, and having considered this mod, I can't see why people would do it. The automatic lock is frankly a massive boon for bit changes. Sure, slightly annoying that you have to power off etc. but better than fumbling around under the table, in my view.

Has anyone installed a Triton router in a UKJ universal plate, it doesn't look like the base of the router will suit the UKJ fixing lugs.

Yes, it installs fine. If I was doing it again, though, I'd go for the Incra plate.

Me to, I didn't do the mod and I find the spindle lock a real plus, it didn't take me long to get into the routine of turning the Triton switch off before using the lift then on again once lowered. I have the Triton Incra Plate and it is superb quality.

Latest posts

Back