Triton routers for under a table - Quick TRA query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, in those circumstances it would be very obvious and you are very aware of what you are doing. I'm in no way criticising what you are doing I just wasn't sure if the interlock could engage.

I consider myself fortunate to have afforded a Festool OF1400 some time back and have purchased the UJK Professional Router Table secondhand, off eBay. The latter came with a 'universal' insert to which I duly fitted my Router.

I have found it a real struggle height-positioning the inverted plunger, so I'm presently using a bit of stick!

Until I shell out another small fortune on the £346.98 UJK Router Elevator, to replace the bog-standard UJK Universal Router Insert, is this my best option, or am I missing something quite fundamental? Help!

I consider myself fortunate to have afforded a Festool OF1400 some time back and have purchased the UJK Professional Router Table secondhand, off eBay. The latter came with a 'universal' insert to which I duly fitted my Router.

I have found it a real struggle height-positioning the inverted plunger, so I'm presently using a bit of stick!

Until I shell out another small fortune on the £346.98 UJK Router Elevator, to replace the bog-standard UJK Universal Router Insert, is this my best option, or am I missing something quite fundamental? Help!

To be honest I am not sure if one can remove the spring from the festool - others will know, if not do a google or ask on FOG - as that would obviously help. Beyond that , I'm guessing you set your height then just lock the router in position as you would normally routing so not sure why the stick use?..

I have heard of folk using car jacks or the like as makeshift lifts...

have just gone through this process with a TRA001, some UKJ components and a homemade table. generally speaking pretty happy with it all, and the TRA001 is a great router... I can't imagine doing a lot of handheld work with it though because it weighs an absolute ton.

i've got a mixed view on the UKJ fence.

have just gone through this process with a TRA001, some UKJ components and a homemade table. generally speaking pretty happy with it all, and the TRA001 is a great router... I can't imagine doing a lot of handheld work with it though because it weighs an absolute ton.

i've got a mixed view on the UKJ fence.

Yes, I believe it is quite a lump!...

Have heard mixed views on that fence... Something you can work around or modify to cure issues?.

RE: fence, I'm not sure yet. I think I was attracted by the simplicity of the two rails on the side (in terms of building the table) but in hindsight and seeing the way the higher end fences move (like in this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL7QrGLNmKE)

i've no doubt it will be plenty fine for my novice skills for now... but I do want to think about ways to remove the adjustment on both ends which will inevitably mean that every last thing will need to be checked for square every time which will likely become tiresome.

RE: fence, I'm not sure yet. I think I was attracted by the simplicity of the two rails on the side (in terms of building the table) but in hindsight and seeing the way the higher end fences move (like in this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL7QrGLNmKE)

i've no doubt it will be plenty fine for my novice skills for now... but I do want to think about ways to remove the adjustment on both ends which will inevitably mean that every last thing will need to be checked for square every time which will likely become tiresome.

Yes, I like this system also - An Incra LS adjuster - looks sooooo easy and quick, especially for repetitive works. Was very tempted to go this way but no stock till march so went with a Jessem set up. May add the LS later next year if I have the work for it (y)

I have a TRA001 mounted in a custom made router table with a Kreg top and mounting plate. It wasn’t quite right and the adjustment screws to get the plate level with the top are a nuisance as you have to remove the plate to fine tune.

I’ve just replaced the plate with an Incra MagnaLock (same size, dropped straight in) and the difference is chalk and cheese. The Incra is a precision machined piece of aircraft grade aluminium compared to the Kreg which seems to me to come out of a mould. Not only does the workpiece glide over the surface, levelling is a doddle simply accessed with the plate in situ and has a much finer accuracy than the Kreg, the MagnaLock inserts level perfectly and are dead easy to remove or replace when changing bits, it’s a joy to use.

Thanks to this forum I’ve also managed to safely by-pass the safety switch on the TRA001 and can now change bits without grappling with the safety switch every time. The TRA001 is a really reliable workhorse router, thoroughly recommend it.

Thanks to this forum I’ve also managed to safely by-pass the safety switch on the TRA001 and can now change bits without grappling with the safety switch every time. The TRA001 is a really reliable workhorse router, thoroughly recommend it.

Could you post a link here for the instructions on how to do this please? My router arrived today and once I've done a handful of tasks it's going under the table that I now need to build.

Does it have the hole for the lifter-arm?

If you're tempted, the Incra router plate for the Triton TRA001 is the MLP7518-AL. I had this plate when I was building my table around the TRA001, and the router fit it perfectly. You will have to remove the black plastic ring on the base of the router before attaching it to the plate.

Here is one available locally, but it is the MLP7518-T. I don't know what the difference is between the -AL and the -T.

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/products/incra-magna-lock-router-plates-7518-t

Unless you have limited mobility, the triton switch cover isn't an issue at all.
If the router will be permanently in your table and you wire it through an NVR then you can remove the cover and leave the switch permanently on as described here.

I have mine wired to an NVR switch too. You still have to switch the unit itself off fo bit change but it's really not that much of an issue. Don't be tempted to box it in, they last longer when they're able to draw in plenty of air!

Make sure you check the Incra compatibility chart, their are a few variations and a specific version for the Triton.
Aside from the JOF001, the MLP7518-AL (or -T) is compatible with the Triton routers.

Having read the method for removing the cover, and sealing the resultant gap, I must admit I am quite nervous about tampering with the safety features on a machine of death.

After reading above I think I might just mount it under the table as is and see how much of a faff it is before tinkering with the switches.

Having read the method for removing the cover, and sealing the resultant gap, I must admit I am quite nervous about tampering with the safety features on a machine of death.

After reading above I think I might just mount it under the table as is and see how much of a faff it is before tinkering with the switches.

When I think about it engaging the safety switch wasn’t really too much of a faff and did add the reassurance that the machine was definitely off before you changed bits. If I was replacing my existing router with the same, I wouldn’t bother.

Latest posts

Back