Triton Routers (and other options)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning All
I was disappointed at Stoneleigh not to find anyone selling Triton stuff. Does anyone here use the Router? My Elu is usually tied up in the router table, and my 96e is starting to wear. So I'm currently thinking that I would like to replace my 96e with another router for bench use, and if I upgraded the capacity I could use it for mortising as well, keeping my 177 in the table.
Alternatively I could buy a cheap 1/2 router and leave that in the table freeing up my 177e for the bench. OR I could get a triton AND a cheap 1/4" router, OR....
You get the picture.
I can get the Triton at my local B&Q, and if it wasn't so darned expensive I wouldn't hesitate.

Any thoughts, anyone?
S

Morning Steve,

I think if you were to go for the Triton, it would be best to put that in the table, as it is designed specificially with that in mind, isn't it? Then you could use the Elu as your bench router. Alternatively, if you are happy with the Elu in the bench, how about considering other professional 1/2" models for bench use, such as the Makita 3612C (very nice to use hand-held, fence isn't great though if this is important to you), the PC 7529, or if budget will allow, the Festool OF1400.

NeilCFD

...or the Trend T9 which I think will be compatible with your Elu fences/guide bushes (but which has always looked a bit overpriced to me)

NeilCFD

Hi Steve

Following on from our discussion I put a question on the Oz wood site about plunging with the Triton and got a reply.

The manual says that you can do it, but the guy who responded had been trying over the last two weeks to get it to work, without success.

Apparently, you turn the wheel on the side of the handle and then turn the handle to lock it into position. From then on it is supposed to work with a normal plunge action.

Do you want to borrow a T9 for a couple of weeks?

Just pm me.

Cheers
Neil

(Please note this offer is personal to Steve as he lives close to me.)

PS The DW625EK with FHA is on offer at D&M for 219.

I've got the triton router and its very versatile.
In t he table it winds up very easily. The collet also rises above table level and only one spanner is required to put in bits.
When out of table it plunges superbly with depth stops, There is also a micro depth setting handle. Again collet protrudes outside of base to make changes.
I can recommend. Didnt know that BQ were stocking triton?
Enquire about a base plate for your router table or if you can get the triton base plate suitable for fitting to a table. There are only two mounting bolts on my router base. A triton agent (or Hills in Caerphilly Wales would most probably supply)

There is quite an in-depth review of the Triton here if you are still considering it, Steve - just in case Trend Machinery's top salesman Newbie_Neil doesn't manage to persuade you that the T9 is the best option :p

NeilCFD

Hi NeilCFD

NeilCFD":1z5rz9g9 said:
.....just in case Trend Machinery's top salesman Newbie_Neil doesn't manage to persuade you that the T9 is the best option

It seems that Malcolm Stamper, of Trend, doesn't have the right address for me as I never seem to get my commission cheques. :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Neil

Well, maybe when Steve orders his T9 the cheques will start rolling in :D

NeilCFD

Thank you all, I will continue to ponder! I'll let you know when/if I make a decision.

At the other end of the market Amzon are doing a little JCB at £45. Anyone used one. Prestige name in the earth-moving world, but routers?

Cheers
Steve

I have just bought a JCB Router from Makro - seems to be the same one as Amazon. Cost £47 inc VAT.
So far it is fine, no play in plunge bearings, collets are OK etc. The plunge spring is a bit fierce though.
Its not my main router, its because I am lazy and want one router with the template collar attached and one without! :oops:
I'll let you know how it performs after more extensive testing.
John

To Steeve

There is a safety feature on the triton plunge system , if the power switch is on you cannot plunge the router so that the collet protrudes beyond the base plate.
I suspect some users forget this feature and think their router has jammed.

Steve":p3xyw3km said:
At the other end of the market Amzon are doing a little JCB at £45. Anyone used one

Just something to watch out for with this model, Steve - the opening in the base is only 37mm diameter, so you couldn't use some fairly run-of-the-mill bits without taking a file to the base first.

NeilCFD

Back