Triton Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knot Competent

Established Member
Reaction score
If anyone has one of these, can you please tell me if Trend accessories fit direct to the router, or if I'm going to need an adaptor plate for my Trend guide bushes to attach to. There, did that make sense after three Stellas?

And if you do have the Triton, did it meet your expectations?

Regards, and Happy New Year to everyone, John

HI KC
Well after an evening of Black Tie and more Units than I care to think of....

I was looking fr a new router and considered the triton.
Very Good, in many respects.

However.

The main reason for a new acquisition was for mortising, and my mortising cutter (Clico - very good) did not go far enough into the collect to clear the base, so failed the test. Ended up with A DeWalt 625 which I have to say does not seem as well-built as my old 177e which it is supposed to have replaced.

Summary:
Excellent machine, still imperfect.

Cheers
Steve

Hello KC,

Trend guide bushes won't fit onto the Triton without an adaptor such as the Trend unibase. You can however buy Triton guide bushes although the range of sizes is fairly limited.

I've had the Triton for two year and have been very pleased with it. I originally used it in a router table but it now sits permanently on a Woodrat where the ability to plunge the collet through the base makes cutter changing really easy (except when I drop the cutters!). The winding mechanism is also very useful.

On the other hand, it is quite a chunky beast, and for handheld use I prefer to use a smaller lighter machine.

Regards

David

Thanks for that, David. Better I know before, but I'm still going for the Triton because a) the Trend T9 is considerably more money b) maybe I have a mental block but I just can't shake the feeling that with DeWalt you're paying extra for the name, and c) I love the look and the capabilities of the Triton.

Regards, John

Hi John I'm from S.Devon.

A Triton owner and a satisfied user.
Some useful accessories also like the biscuit cutter in conjunction with their table.
Micro adjustment very handy when winding up under the table.
Haven't needed bushes todate.
Depth of mortices is eventually decided by length of cutters.
I use a very simple MDF jig and cut 16 mortices in under 30 minutes including setup time.
Three years use coming up.

Hi DW,

Glad to hear you're a happy Triton owner. But please don't advertise Devon too much as it's filling up with other enlightened people, which means that good wood is becoming more difficult to find, and more expensive when you can find it!

I recently bought the Trend mortice and tenon jig, and am reasonably pleased with it despite several limitations (am I wrong in expecting a versatile item for £150?). I was, as I said previously, going to keep things simple by sticking to Trend products, but hey, then I saw a review of the Triton and my policy went out of the window.

One question - can you lock the "on" switch when using it under a table, or will I have to resort to a clamp or similar?

Regards, John

No problems with triton switch it locks on or off, no clamp needed, plus there is a safety feature you cannot switch on if the collet is protruding out of the base.
This stops machine starting accidentally whilst inserting a router bit.

Timber is difficult everywhere these days, it could be soon that you have to purchase second hand furniture for timber.!!!

my mortising cutter (Clico - very good) did not go far enough into the colle[c]t to clear the base,

I'm not quite getting that, don't know whether it's me, or the units that came with the black tie?

Care to expand?

Jake

Hi Jake
The Clico cutters have quite a long shank. On my Elu and DW the spindle is hollow for quite a long way, so the cutter can go into the machine far enough so that when the router is not plunged at all, the cutter does not protude through the base.

On the Triton, on the other hand, the spindle is hollow to a much shorter depth, so the cutter bottoms out, and stciks out of the bottom of the router even when not plunged.

Any clearer?

Cheers
Steve

Crystal clear!

That's a long shank. I haven't had that problem yet, or even close to it, which is why I thought I hadn't understood you.

Jake

Steeve what depth of mortice can you cut using the 1/4" bit?
Ditto using a 1/2" bit

I reckon if using normal cutters and you wanted more depth you could then switch over to the clico cutter by inserting the bit into the already cut portion?

DW
All the cutters (1/4, 3/8, 1/2") have a 50mm long shank.
The 1/4 will cut to depth of about 40mm, a bit more if you really push it, but I don't recommend it, the 1/2" has a cutting length of about 45mm, but as the cut and shank are the same size you can effectively go as deep as you can plunge (ie the shank doesn't foul the top of the workpiece).
Not huge but enough for most of the kind of stuff I make. I also have a hollow-chisel mortiser, but that gets very little use now.
If I were buying new now, I'd probably look at spiral cutters. Ax do them - but at a price.

Cheers
Steve

I have the unibase on my Triton and works a dream, i also use the Trend 8mm collet since Triton only supply a 1/4 and that works fine too

Tony

Ps Did i mention i now have two of them :p :p

Back