Triton Router problem with Collet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScouseKev

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the larger of the 2 Triton routers and ive had a problem with a very tight collet.

With no bit inserted it screws in and out freely...problem is that i can't get it open up enough to accept the bit.

It can be pushed in with a fair bit of pressure but then its a pig to get out and i usually end up having to lever it out with an open ended spanner.

Any advise would be really appreciated.

cheers Kev

Hi Kev, you really shouldn't be tightening the collet without a router bit installed because you can damage it. Also when installing the bit, push it in so that it bottoms out and then pull it out again so that the bit is about 3/4's of the way in and then tighten it.

If it is as bad as you say then you might be better off getting a new collect and starting afresh.

Cheers

Mike

Are you sure you are not trying to force fit a 1/4" bit in a 6mm collet or a 1/2" into a 12mm? Triton do produce all 4 sizes

Brian

I had this exact problem with a Bosch router and it turned out that I had the collet the wrong way round in the nut.

If its a new item return it, if it has seen some use I would ask what have I done to make this happen?

Bits for routers must be PERFECT.

Back