Triton router in record router table?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodman-46

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a record router table that I have recently assembled, seems like a hefty, solid piece of equipment. Obviously the problem with the thick cast iron top is the effect it has on the inverted plunge depth of whichever router is used. I have read a lot of great things about the Triton router and wondered if anyone has any experience or advice about combining the two. Is the plunge depth good on this router and would the collet poke through above the table for easy bit changing. Any information gratefully received. Thanks

I believe that a fellow member les chicken has this very combo and is very happy with it.

I can vouch for the router, it's amazing

Thanks Al, if Les was able to tell me if collett shows above table that would be great. I don't really want to use an extension because of the inherant vibration problem. I have an"Extreme" extension but after countless goes at making it perfect in my Dewalt 625 I gave up, it always seemed to have the slightest vibration which obviously is no good.If it is not possible to get collett above the table is it possible to buy angled wrenches for tightening the collett nut, there is plenty of room through the Record aperture for this. Thanks

A box spanner will work but only for bits with a diameter less than the collet nut flats.

Jason

Jim
The record router table that I have is the rms-r with sliding table. The triton router is the daddy one. They were made for each other. It takes a little bit of fiddling to set it to the centre of the cutout but then :D .

When it is plunged (upside down) and the spindle lock engaged the collet nut is level with the table. This allows easy changing of bits with the cranked spanner supplied. Adjusting depth of cut is a doddle with the triton rough and fine adjustment which is built into the router. Don't forget to remove the spring.

You will not be disappointed.

Les

I have the same table as Les with a DW625 and XX I had a base plate made and fixed by a local engineer as the clamps that record supply to hold the router where IMHO rubbish for heavy work . I also had a few datum marks scored into the cast bed . Im very happy with the table now ive done what should have been done by record . Not sure about the Triton part as i dont have one but if the default breaks AGAIN i may invest so id love to hear how you get on .

Sorry to disagree with the comment on the clamps but IMHO they are very good. As an engineer these clamps are very similar to those used by toolmakers on milling machines and radial drills. When set up properly they are capable of withstanding large torque on the item clamped.

Les

Maybe i set them up wrong then but i tightened them untill they bent and when using a raised pannel cutter the router moved . I wasnt taking any chances .

Has anyone tried the Fox version of the table? Its available from Rutlands, and apart from being cheaper, has the advantage of assisted lift.

P.S. Sorry about the link, I tried to give a full one, but it didn't work. Enter "Fox Router Table" into the search box and you will get there.

Back