Triton planer thicknesser stopped working

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmoose

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I accidentally put a plank through my Triton planer thicknesser that was too thick:rolleyes: (i.e. it was taking off too much in one pass) it stopped before I could switch it off so I presumed it had overheated but now will not restart, any suggestions?

Assuming you have not bu88ered it, then there might be a reset button hidden away or it might need a long time to cool down 10s of minutes if it is an automatic resetting type. Reading the manual might help?

Unlikely to be an automatic reset on a something as potentially dangerous as that. But look all around the cutting head for a small black or red push button. It might take a pencil end to reset it as some are very hard to press. If thats the problem, there will be a loud click when it resets.

Presumably you have got the wood out?

Make sure you have not got wood fragments jamming the cutter. I would suspect that a jam is at least as likely as overheating.

Lesson learned - totally ignore manufacturer claims of max capacity and take much shallower cuts in these DIY machines.

Assuming you have not bu88ered it, then there might be a reset button hidden away or it might need a long time to cool down 10s of minutes if it is an automatic resetting type. Reading the manual might help?
Hi Myfordman, It wouldn't start after a couple of days and there is nothing in the manual I'll try looking for a reset button /hole but am not that hopeful! :cautious:

Presumably you have got the wood out?

Make sure you have not got wood fragments jamming the cutter. I would suspect that a jam is at least as likely as overheating.

Lesson learned - totally ignore manufacturer claims of max capacity and take much shallower cuts in these DIY machines.
Thanks, I'll check there is nothing jamming it also but don't think that's the case.

I had mine 4 months and just wasn't impressed with it screwfix were amazing and returned it for full refund no questions asked.
Check the erbauer and Clarke website manuals as all those machines are near identical just certain parts are metal not plastic.

Morning
Have you checked the fuse in the plug? ?

Also checked the the mains socket is still live by plugging in something else?
I don't know this machine but is it possible after trying the above and with the machine unplugged to turn the blades/belt/motor by hand to see if there is a hidden wood jam?
Good luck

Assuming its the TPT125 model, bottom of page 7 of the manual - how to reset the circuit breaker.

Hi Folks,
All sorted:)(y) many thanks for your help. I didn't spot it before because I only looked in the back of the manual at the troubleshooting guide and thought it was referring to the circuit breaker on my fuse box, not on the machine!:rolleyes:

I have one of those. It's a piece of poo but it does the job. I've put a heck of a lot of timber through mine. As a planer its garbage - the tables are flimsy and just don't stay lined up parallel, as is the fence. I have extended the thicknesser table with 18mm ply, removed the plastic guard (and tie-wrapped the safety micro) and made a ply guard and just let the chips fall and sweep up afterwards - haven't got any dust extraction that can cope with the huge amount it makes. Having said all that, taking ~max 1mm passes it will thickness to 0.1mm accuracy across the bed. You pays your money...

Hi Folks,
All sorted:)(y) many thanks for your help. I didn't spot it before because I only looked in the back of the manual at the troubleshooting guide and thought it was referring to the circuit breaker on my fuse box, not on the machine!:rolleyes:
Hi, this is a bit old in asking, but was your circuit breaker a button on this machine or a rubber plug. Thanks for any help.

Latest posts

Back