TRITON JOF001 router - excessive noise?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayak23

Established Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a second, brand new Triton router, the Jof001 1/2" model.

Just turned it on for the first time and the sound coming from it is hideous.

I know routers can be a little whiny but this one sounds just weird. It has a relatively low pitched whine, quite loud that changes in pitch with the motor speed.

I've never heard a router make that much noise to be honest, and my bigger Triton doesn't sound as gnarly as this one.

Wondered if anyone else had this model and had similar noise?

Got a short YouTube clip below.

https://youtu.be/hyf8H-QWDQw

Hmmm, sounds pretty mad in the flesh. Never heard a router like it.

I just based it on your You Tube clip. It sounds like a fairly typical variable speed router to me.

If it annoys you, return it. I have a Triton planer. It's actually very good, but is also noisy. I have Elu, AEG, Trend and Hitachi routers, and a few trimmers and stuff. They all scream a a bit. The Elu routers are the oldest, quietest and best.

The low pitch noise does seem out of place and sounds like bearings to me.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Bearings and/or brushes.

Brushes are probably easier to change, so I would do those first (and check the commutator isn't chipped or badly grooved for some reason. Blow the thing out with an airline, too, but check carefully for signs anything has broken off inside (to repair you will want the pieces, if they are still in there!).

I know of one brand of heavy router (not Triton) that used to lunch its fan, but this was a design/quality issue. Anything getting in there though would probably wreck the fan, so that's another thing to Inspect carefully. If it ticks obviously when you rotate the shafts, I would check that first with a torch (flashlight) and magnifying glass.

You may need a puller for the bearings, or a motor rewind place to do it for you (beer tokens).

Do you know it's history? I found Melamine to be highly abrasive, and the chips can be sharp, so if used a lot for MFT (for example worktops) there might be commutator damage.

Buying s/h on eBay is a risk, unfortunately. Getting a refund comes down to how the router's condition was described.

Hope it works out OK - please report back here as it's very helpful to know if there's a specific problem associated with them. Other people will be Googling after you :)

E.

That isn’t normal to me. I sold my triton routers, but did have experience of both of their main models.

Triton stick a big motor in all their tools as their selling point, they are noisy tools.

Yeah, brand new. The video is the third time it has been switched on ever.
Yeah, I can return it I suppose. It'd be the second time though.
First one had a crack in the slide bushing cover when I got it out of the box.
It's not like I don't like Triton. As I say I have the bigger version in my router table but that sounds....like most routers. This sounds weird.
It has the normal router whine, but accompanied by what sounds a bit like a sliding whistle!

tumblr_n296haefM21qjyhpzo1_250.gif

It doesn't sound right to me and I think I'll be taking it back to Screwfix, AGAIN...

Third time lucky I hope. :D

Just a little update.

Router went back to Screwfix and I got a replacement the next day.

Sounds exactly the same...

Seemingly, it's supposed to sound like a slide flute... :lol:

Oh well. Have to get used to it then. Maybe it'll fade in time.

Latest posts

Back