Triton Bobbin Sander Review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomlt

Established Member
Reaction score
I did a search on here before buying this and it didn't seem like anyone had reviewed it before, so here goes....

Working on a small mantle clock (a piece of wild grained sycamore) I was having some major issues shaping it using hand tools, so after looking around at bobbin sanders deciding the JET's were out of my price range, the SIP/Charnwood/Record clones didn't have a very secure table, I started looking at alternatives. The triton has been appearing on the back covers of the magazines for a while, it looks like another clone of the woodstar/draper machines and I suspect it comes from the factory, but having used Tritons stuff before and being fairly impressed I thought I'd stick with them.

So first impressions...well after a round trip to pick it up after a botched delivery by "sh*tty" link, i returned home and unpacked the sander. It comes in a sturdy box and was well packaged with all of the accessories set into the polystyrene lid for protection. Thankfully the thing doesn't weight too much, about 15kg or so, it certainly feels solid enough with the cast table being the majority of the weight. The base is made of a reasonably sturdy plastic. It comes complete with a full set of sleeves and drums 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1.5", 2" and 3", the sleeves are pretty coarse I would estimate about 60grit, great for heavy shaping, but they do seem to leave some scratch marks. Spindles are quick to change using the included spanner, it comes with various inserts and washers too.

In use the sander is pretty quiet, about the same as a cordless drill on high speed, the table dust extraction worked pretty well when attached to my Numatic NVD750, all the fine stuff got captured, some larger bits did accumulate on the table, but not much. I tested it out on some scraps of pine, oak and the sycamore. Despite being only 450W the sander has got loads of power, despite leaning quite hard on it at times I never managed to stall the spindle. The oscillating action and speed seem just right to precent the sander scorching or clogging the abrasive which was something I was concerned about.

Overall I'm very impressed given it only cost £115, it performs better than expected and will be useful for those awkward shaping jobs. If I ever do need to work at an angle then I'll have to make a sub table, but for the moment this should meet my needs.

Heres some pics:

DSC_1494 (Medium).JPG

DSC_1488 (Medium).JPG

DSC_1490 (Medium).JPG

DSC_1489 (Medium).JPG

DSC_1492 (Medium).JPG

DSC_1491 (Medium).JPG

Attachments

• DSC_1494 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_1494 (Medium).JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 4,676
  • DSC_1488 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_1488 (Medium).JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 4,675
  • DSC_1490 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_1490 (Medium).JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 4,675
  • DSC_1489 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_1489 (Medium).JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 4,675
  • DSC_1492 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_1492 (Medium).JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 4,673
  • DSC_1491 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_1491 (Medium).JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 4,672
Thanks for review keep us informed about how it performs a few months down the line

Dave

Thanks for posting that - I've looked into getting a bobbin sander recently and ruled out the Jet and SIP etc. ones for the same reason as you. This was the only one left on my list but I'd not jumped in yet. Presumably you can get other sleeves / grits for it are they expensive?

dp341":opgd0oqs said:
Thanks for posting that - I've looked into getting a bobbin sander recently and ruled out the Jet and SIP etc. ones for the same reason as you. This was the only one left on my list but I'd not jumped in yet. Presumably you can get other sleeves / grits for it are they expensive?

The sleeves arent too bad, I bought some designed for the sip sander from toolstation at about 7quid for a pack if 3, but they only stock some of the bobbin sizes. The packs of sleeves in different grits seem readily available from ebay also for the 7quid mark, and I suspect anywhere that sells the draper or woodstar clones would have them too.

Regards, tom.

Back