Triton after sales service

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxhunter

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any success in making direct contact with Triton?

I have a router TRB001 which I bought with a collet reducer. Unfortunately when I use this with a dovetail bit in a router table the bit rises in the collet with each cut I make, ending up with 'stepped' cuts across the board.

I have emailed Triton twice searching for a solution without success (i.e a reply) and a post on their forum has also brought no results.
The collet is tightened (with reducer and bit) tightly by hand, I am reluctant to use any real force in case I cause any damage.
Does anyone here have this router and do they use 1/4" cutters?
Do I replace my extensive collection of 1/4" cutters with 1/2" ones or do I cut my losses and replace the Triton with a Trend?

I have that router, I've never tried the reducer though. Have you checked with a micrometer if the shank is undersize? Assuming it isn't, you will either need to go tighter or use an adaptor. Axminster do a 1/2" collet extension which uses Er20 collets, these work over a 1mm range so chuck in the extension with a 6-7mm collet and that would work.

Hi Siggy,

Toolstream are the UK distributors for Triton, if you give them a ring on 01935 382222 I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

Cheers,

Matthew

When you say tightened by hand, I assume you're using the spanner? If not (and I'm sure you are BTW) there's your problem.

I've had a Triton in my router table for a few years now and it generally performs really well, but I have had the odd instance of bit creep. FWIW I've never been completely happy with the collet thread though - has always seemed too coarse to me and needs a significant force applied to keep bits in place, even more so when using 1/4" bits in the reducer. Crank it up really well, I doubt you'd break it.

I've had the smaller, but very similar, MOF001 in my router table for a number of years and have from day one had seperate collets/nuts for 1/4", 8mm and 1/2". I'm pretty sure these are readily available from several sources. Surely a dedicated 1/4" collet and nut is a better solution to your problems than a reducer that slips ?

Mark

Many thanks for all the replies.
I assume, however, that no one has had any direct contact with Triton.
When I say that the collet is tightened by hand I have the spanner in it at the time! To release the cutter, even after it has slipped in the reducer I often need to use a 'persuader' in the form of a soft headed mallet against the spanner.
I have had the cutters for sometime and used them in my Elu MOF 177 without any trouble and am completely happy with the dimensions of the shanks. An extension was used then and I sold it when I bought the Triton thinking that it would not be needed. Maybe I should just buy another one with a 1/4inch collet.
For some reason, known only to themselves Triton do not supply 1/4inch collets to UK & EU destinations. Their web site confirms this. They do, however supply a 12mm collet!

Could be an imperial / metric issue. If the collet is imperial (1/4" - 6.35mm) and the cutter is metric (6mm) then you may be on the limit of it's capacity.

matthewwh":s6flwnwc said:
Could be an imperial / metric issue. If the collet is imperial (1/4" - 6.35mm) and the cutter is metric (6mm) then you may be on the limit of it's capacity.
This is much more of an problem than some people think. It doesn't matter how much you tighten the nut the bit will still slip.

DAMHIK :oops:

This may well be your issue?

foxhunter":msrmm1zf said:
Many thanks for all the replies.
For some reason, known only to themselves Triton do not supply 1/4inch collets to UK & EU destinations. Their web site confirms this. They do, however supply a 12mm collet!

I recently bought a new 1/4" collet assembly for my MOF001 from this place here in Norway http://www.aurus.no/public.aspx?pageID=77696. They do not list the 1/4" collet on their website but even so had them in stock.
Now I realise their website is difficult to understand since it's entirely in Norwegian but at the bottom of the first page is their telephone number and e-mail address. As a long shot you could contact them directly by e-mail.
Since Aurus sell 1/4" collets this proves they are available in Europe.

Mark

The collet system on the larger Triton router is perhaps its only weakness. Ray Girling gives a good comparison between the two and it is clear that the two are not interchangeable.

http://www.raygirling.com/triton14.htm The larger machine is described as having a Hitachi style system so it might be worth seeing if the 1/4" collets for Hitachi models fit - I know they exist but they're horrendously expensive.

Brian

You may just need a better reducer - I've got a Woodrat reducing sleeve that I use with my big Freud and it's never given me any problems.

I've had a chat with the distributors who currently only have 1/2" and 12mm on hand for the TRA001 and TRB001.

They do have the full range (6,8,12,1/4 and 1/2) available for the MOF001 and JOF001 models.

They are going to have a look at it and see what can be done.

I have now heard through the Triton forum the following solution.

It is possible to replace the ½ in collet in your TRB001 with the ¼ inch collet from the MOF001 router. You can purchase the two required parts from the below links:

http://www.toolsparesonline.com/search. ... rms=844276
http://www.toolsparesonline.com/search. ... rms=711027

Step 1: Place the router upside-down on a flat surface.
Step 2: Remove the transparent chip shield.
Step 3: Using a metal punch, swiftly strike the collet adaptor in an anticlockwise direction to release.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Problem solved.

Brian

Thanks Matthew.

I have ordered the parts from toolsparesonline but am not looking forward to removing the router from the table every time I want to use a 1/4" cutter. I'm not sure where 6mm came from in some of the earlier posts but the reducer that came with the router was 1/4". Am I likely to be able to fit a 1/4" cutter in a 6mm collet?

I will report on any success in due course.

Brian

I think that was the warning issued earlier. It is extremely dangerous to use the wrong collet. Firstly a 1/2" cutter won't fit a 12mm collet and a 1/4" won't go in a 6mm one but if you reverse the sizes, you'll never do them up tightly enough.

I've long planned to make this change with my TRA router so I've laid out the £58 pounds to buy the three necessary parts, mainly for the sake of my own safety as well as the convenience. I'm hoping the removal of the base adapter will be as straightforward as your instructions suggest. However once it's done I don't envisage having to dismount the router from the table. I (we) should be able to raise up the cutter through the table as usual and unscrew the collet as usual. This should also solve the occasional problem that occured of the cutter jamming in the collet that happened with the old set-up.

Brian

Go this site:

raygirling. com/dismtra1.htm

Read bottom of this page

"Chuck Assembly Removal and Replacement
The procedure is the same, no matter what style or type of chuck assembly is fitted. It is carried out with the router removed from the table."

Thanks for that. I knew I had seen an alternative method that may avoid bending the motor spindle. Fortunately, I have an airline so shall be experimenting with the turbine effect!!

Brian

Back