triton 1400w router advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1012

Established Member
Reaction score
hi i am looking into getting this router and like the spec of it and its safety features

i am looking to mount in a table , one question i have is about it safety feature of spindle only locking when swith cover in closed position and iwondered if this causes problems if you want to connect to a external safety switch fixed to the table ? what i mean is can you bypass the router safety feature by having the external switch or do you have to keep getting under table to router to close cover every time you want to change cutter ?

this is my best guess as not familiar with this or any other router so if im way of base then forgive my ignorance !

mark

The spindle locks as you plunge down to full extension, which won't go as long as the switch cover is open. You can use it with an NVR switch and I'd recommend it for the table, but you will have to move the sliding switch cover for bit changes. You could probably bodge the mechanism, but I woudn't recommend it. On/off operations are much more frequent than bit changes anyway, so the NVR switch still has a purpose as well as giving you a better quick-stop facility.

A siggy says the spindle lock is mechanically interlocked to the cover on the switch so you have to turn the router off with its own switch to change bits.

But that is a very small inconvenience when table mounted IMO, and of all the safety devices probably one of the best thought out ones I have encountered. The through the base bit change is also a BIG plus point especially when table mounted, makes bit changes so quick and easy.

Just be aware that the winder handle is not included with the 1400w model (That may have changed now but check) but is included with the big brother, I decided to go with the larger one which includes the handle and I am extremely pleased with it. The through the table winder is brilliant, and the quick release pins on the base make it real quick and easy to attach jigs and guides to the router base. I have a few jigs I have made and with a couple of keyhole slots cut in them they clip on quickly and securely without any tools needed.

ok thanks for advice , i think i am going to go with the 1400 purely because if i need to use hand held its a bit more user friendly as the big one is well big !! and not really suited to my small to medium projects , i have a small workshop and i no intetion in making any wardrobes out of oak !! i mainly a scroll sawer with small craft work using mainly softwoodsa so i think 14oo be more suitable for me

mark

Louise-Paisley":oa7he3ny said:
Just be aware that the winder handle is not included with the 1400w model (That may have changed now but check) but is included with the big brother, I decided to go with the larger one which includes the handle and I am extremely pleased with it. The through the table winder is brilliant, and the quick release pins on the base make it real quick and easy to attach jigs and guides to the router base. I have a few jigs I have made and with a couple of keyhole slots cut in them they clip on quickly and securely without any tools needed.

Are you sure about that? I thought it was the other way round. The earlier 2000W routers (TRA001 and some TRB001) don't have the handle, or the modified winder casing which allows the winder handle to be fitted. So if you end up with one of these routers (as I have) then your only option is to go and buy a Router Raizer if you want the above-table winder. The newer TRB001/TRC001 has the modified casing. I think all the 1400W routers (MOF001) have the modified casing which allows the winder to be used. I thought it was included with the kit along with the guide bush set; possibly it's not included with some bare-bones package but any MOF001 should definitely be compatible with the winder.

It is compatible with the winder, but the winder is not included with the MOF router and so you have to get the accessory pack.. Or at least it was when I bought my TRB001 - However the website appears to have had a significant upgrade and now no longer lists the TRB001 so the situation may have recently changed..

http://www.tritontools.com/

Having looked closer, it would appear that none of them now include the table winder handle.. be careful not to confuse winder handle (turning the handle on the router for plunge depth) and TABLE winder handle, these are two different things of course ;)

gets a bit confusing i seen a picture of box for 1400 on line that has winder included with picture of theings in the box ??

the winder itself is hard to find ob its own to buy even on the triton site it isnt lised on own but only with accesory pack and other places have a jig of somesort from triton with handle in it but costs 40- 50 pound ??

mark

having looked at it again it probably dosent include it but it very misleading blurb , words like winder etc and pictures with it on and you cant buy winder handle without buying a accessory pack for 40 - 50 pound so i might be having a rethink on this model think it a bit of a rip off

mac1012":2w3wj7py said:
having looked at it again it probably dosent include it but it very misleading blurb , words like winder etc and pictures with it on and you cant buy winder handle without buying a accessory pack for 40 - 50 pound so i might be having a rethink on this model think it a bit of a rip off

if you buy it from http://www.tritontools.uk.com/ it INCLUDES the Table winder handle..

I would strongly recommend you have a look there as it includes the table winder handle, also the accessory kit is only about £38 and includes the guide bush sub base, a load of guide bushes, alignment pin and winder handle - look at the price of a trend unibase and set of trend guide bushes for comparison!

Anyway, you can make a winder handle extremely easily with just a dowel with a slot in one end and a handle on the other, it is nothing miraculous, its just a handle ;)

The misleading bit on the tritontools.com website is winder handle.. The handle of the router can be turned to wind the plunge up/ down or you can push a button in the handle and switch to free plunge as most other routers work.

Its a bl00dy good router IMO - well the TRB001 I got is and I don't see much difference between that and the MOF other than size, weight and watts ;)

yeah louise i guess the accessorie pack is ok for the money , but i wouldnt get the deal from the website you posted as i 187 whereas i seen the router for 160 on some sites so it would be beter to pay an extra tenner and get all the bushes otherwise im paying 27 pound just for the winder

Mark

Latest posts

Back