Tripping Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohowson

Established Member
Reaction score
My table saw got a bit... overexcited... yesterday. You know, smoke coming out from underneath and everything.

Now when I turn it on it spins up fine, cuts about 3-4" (of probably 1/2" wood) and then pops the fuse back in the house. Which is getting annoying to say the least!

I assume I've pushed it a bit too far and the smoke was something wearing out - but there my knowledge ceases - what to look for first? It's a Draper BTS (or was it DTS?) 252 and while not massively expensive I don't haver the money to go buy another one right now and am mid-way through the children's new climbing frame!

ohowson":jkupy0ri said:
My table saw got a bit... overexcited... yesterday. You know, smoke coming out from underneath and everything.

Now when I turn it on it spins up fine, cuts about 3-4" (of probably 1/2" wood) and then pops the fuse back in the house. Which is getting annoying to say the least!

I assume I've pushed it a bit too far and the smoke was something wearing out - but there my knowledge ceases - what to look for first? It's a Draper BTS (or was it DTS?) 252 and while not massively expensive I don't haver the money to go buy another one right now and am mid-way through the children's new climbing frame!
Sounds like it has a universal motor in it...which means it is toast. They can go down pretty quick when they are overloaded/stalled.

Your single hope is to find a replacement motor. Either that or take it to the recycling and buy something with an induction motor next time :)

Back