Trend vs Ferm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

After sneaking around here now and then for a few weeks, I have now delurked (unlurked? dislurked?). I will soon be in the market for a router and was impressed with the review of the Trend T3 on this website. However, I have over the last year bought a few of Ferm's power tools from Screwfix, and been pleased with them. I thought I would go to both the manufacturers' websites and do some comparing. I thought the Trend site was very good :D , with good pictures and full of info and downloads for a routing newbie like me. On the other hand when I tried the Ferm site :( , all I got was a message that I was not authorised to view the site!

Can you guess which router I'm going to buy?

Thanks all you guys for sharing your experience here - I've picked up some good tips.

John

Hi and welcome to the forums.
I wrote the review on the T3 on this site glad you are impresed :D
The main reason i went for the Trend T3 was because you can get every single part replacement if any thing goes wrong etc. I am very pleased with my T3 it's a great little router for any1 who is new or just wants a little router for light jobs but it is not underpowered thats for sure.

I just want to say the T3 is Exactly the same as the ferm router. They are just different brands ! If you need to buy acessories for the ferm router, i'm sure trend ones will fit.

The trend T3 Router is alot more than the ferm one, but I guess it does come with all these other bits and bobs. I guess it's down to personal choice.

Thanks for your replies, guys. I eventually managed to get through to the Ferm website.

Mike, you got me thinking now about spare parts for the Ferm tools I have!! The Ferm site isn't too clear about that, but there is a distributer in UK somewhere. I presume parts would be available there.

On the other hand, Trend has a dealer about 5 miles from where I live, which is much more convenient.

Trend's website definitely impressed me more than Ferm's.

Alley, you also got me thinking. I didn't realise they were the same machine with different labels. If I could only be certain that parts & acessories would fit......... Just when I thought I had everything settled in my mind!

I won't be splashing out for a couple of months yet, so I have time to think about it.

Thanks again
John

John,

Where did you find the Ferm web site in the end? I couldn't find it.

Steve

Well iam confused :? :? Are ferm not screwfix own brand tools then :?:
Had a quick look on the ferm site and they dont mention screfix at all :?
A quick look at screwfix and they seem to think they are there own brand
Is this it :?: Have i gon mad :?: sombody help me please :? :?
Mick

I've always wondered why screwfix are not listed on ferm.nl.... But I think screwfix are the only people who sell 'FERM' powertools in the UK.

I think some people distribute 'FERM' safes. Who are listed on the ferm.nl site...

Who knows. Give screwfix an email...sure they can help

The Ferm site can also be accessed through the links/manufacturers page on this website.

Just checked up at the Ferm site - they describe themselves as importers and exporters of tools, so they obviously don't manufacture. I would imagine the tools are made in the far east or somewhere similarly cheap.

In the where to buy section, they list Omega Safes of Nottingham as being the only place in UK, but I would think that Omega is a distributer.
Screwfix is not mentioned as far as I can find.

In the dealer section they mention that after sales service takes place in Genemuiden in Holland. Have just checked some of the bumf that came with the last tool I got - Omega Safes are the UK service/distribution agents.

I dunno, will it all matter in 100 years?

John

I have a couple of the cloned routers, Power devil, Performance Pro, etc, However I am having trouble locating a source for a replacement on/off switch. The router is fine except for the broken switch. Also has anyone heard of switches that stay switched on so you can use the router in a table.

robo":3455sez7 said:
Also has anyone heard of switches that stay switched on so you can use the router in a table.

I use either cable ties or garden wire to secure my router switch in the "On" position. I hope to buy another 1/2" router soon so that I can dedicate one for the table & then I think that araldite might me used :wink:

robo & weasel try a larg bulldog clip. I bought a router table, it came with a cheap router & a large flat bulldog clip which works just fine. it can be used in any mode

Don't you just love it when people do an Internet search, find a topic that interests them and post a reply to it without realising its 12 years old :) We've all done it....

phil.p":1wlhz42q said:
There've been a few lately, but I think twelve years is probably a record. :)

Yes and yes, As you say 12 years is a record so far.
I'm surprised that I've not done it yet!
Regards Rodders

Trend is an English company, Ferm is Dutch. They have no links to each other. Likewise Screwfix has no financial interest in Ferm, they just happen to have a good supply deal, just like they did when they were pushing Hitachi last year. Ferm power tools can be bought from plenty of other shops too, they're not exclusive to Screwfix.

Back