Trend T5 router competition another entry (Long post)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Dalziel

Established Member
Reaction score
The design called for a small table using a tailed router and possibly a biscuit jointer and here is what I have come up with
I wanted the table to be made simple but I think I overdid the simplicities of it, the basic design you could use a length of 80mm x 40mm without the complex joints. I stated earlier that I was going to use a jigsaw piece then split but I have just went for the jigsaw, time constraints are limited at present. My sketchup drawings are just about up to scratch, I’m not used to it yet…. The timber used is maple and sapele, I used these as I picked up a load of offcuts when I was last at my supplier. The top of the table will be 6mm toughened glass which will get rebated in, I haven’t decided on a finish yet

sidetable1.jpg

The jigsaw piece is now made as you can see from the photos, I made a number of different jigs utilising it, the corners ones were particularly difficult but straight forward none the less.
The cutters I used were top bearing template follower 50mm long 12.7mm radius and a 50mm long top and bottom bearings 19mm radius, I used 2 different ones because I wanted a 12.5 radius on the inside corners of the insert piece. A top and bottom bearing cutter was required to go around the circle without it snatching by rotating the template. Everything was made slightly oversize then brought down to final sizes once joined
DSCF1513.jpg

sidetable2.jpg

There is a fair degree of accuracy required when making the templates and not a project to attempt for someone just starting to rout. The Perspex template was done by a handheld. I attached a wireless pinhole camera to the body of the router and watched it on a portable tv to ensure I wasn’t wandering, the camera setup didn’t work as good as I had hoped but I still produced a cracking little jig. The rest were all cut out at the router table.
url]

I cut away most of the waste leaving a mm or 2 at the bandsaw for the socket side and then trimmed at the table. I drilled the mating piece first with a 1 1/8” forsterner bit. The actual bulb size is 30mm so this left about 0.5mm or so to trim off When inserting the work piece into the jig it’s a tight fit and held with double sided tape. The mitres in the corners are incredibly strong.
DSCF1485.jpg

The 45º corners are biscuits and glued not a joint I would have used but the competition called for it,I was going to do some blind dovetails a la bill hylton , I will insert some miller dowels into the corners for added strength and for decoration
DSCF1492.jpg

DSCF1497.jpg

the top piece is almost done, it will get biscuited and dowelled tomorrow
DSCF1505.jpg

Hope the photos come out ok I should finish it tomorrow and will update as soon as its ready

i couldnt get a couple of photos to appear probobly need some help

Regards
Ian

ian now that is different its looking good what will the top be like will it be the same as the legs .

update on the drawing its totally upside down i dont know how i managed it. It will be 6mm toughned glass on the top, rebated in
sidetable35.jpg

regards
Ian

Hi Ian

It's certainly different, well done. Really imaginative.

I attached a wireless pinhole camera to the body of the router and watched it on a portable tv to ensure I wasn’t wandering, the camera setup didn’t work as good as I had hoped but I still produced a cracking little jig.

You've also raised the jig stakes for Tony. :lol:

I just know I'm going to be sorry for picking up on this. :roll:

Cheers
Neil

This is looking very promising. I have learned a lot from reading your post and especially from your pictures. I can't wait to see the coming development and the finished product.

I like those clamps, I don't know what you call them, on the gluing picture (not the besseys). I must get a pair of those and that plastic square.

Thanks for the report Ian, very educational.
Best of luck in the competition.

CYC

Ian,

Just were did you buy that timber that changes colour, with the change looking bizarrely like jigsaw patterns. It cannot be joints as there is no blemish in the flow of the wood. :shock:

Well done Sir a wonderful bit of work. 8)

There could even be a spin off in reality router rides, you might want to copyright the idea. :wink:

Back