Trend T3 ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The T3 is a bit small for most uses.
It's really an entry level, light use tool.
For the cheaper entry level routers is has to be the best 100% better than many DIY own brand routers.

Hi Dr Thrax

Dr. Thrax":gmdibm0a said:
Thinking of buying one of these, any cons/problems to look out for ?

Great as an introduction and for light work. It's on offer at 29.99 with D&M at the moment.

Cheers
Neil

Thanks to all. Nice review, good to know spare parts are readily available from Trend, looks like I'll be adding this machine to my collection :D

Availability of spares and accesories is a great advantage of the Trend tools.
I use a Perles router which Trend copied for their original T5.
Trying to get spares from Switzerland is difficult but everything made for the Trend fits a Perles perfectly.
DeWalt use the same fittings unlike many who have individual sizes making them useless when a new model comes out.

And when someone has answered the above can anyone tell me if Trend router bits are generally longer lasting than other makes ?

Hi guys,

I don't have a T3 but a Bosch POF500A, its only 500wats and fixed speed. I also have a Trend dovetail jig, the old one. I have both 1/2" and 1/4" combs for it and have cut quit a few dovetails using the POF500A. :D

The one thing I have done is had made an adaptor to allow the Trend fine height adjuster for a T5 to be used on the POF500A, very useful for tweaking the fit of the joint. :shock: Look in the gallery for the HiFi cabinet I made, all of the draws are made with 1/4" dovetails cut with the POF500A and Trend jig. :lol:

Thomas

The T3 should work with dovetail jigs just fine as long as you get the correct collar size for it - should be no problem from Trend.

I have a T3 and a T5 and both are superb. I really only use the T3 for cutting small groves for inlays though

Dr. I find that Trend router cutters in their craft range are amongst the best one can find. I use CMT, cheap ones that came free with other routers and Freud Pro and the Trend and Freud are the best and about the same - Freud costs more though :(

For router bits, imho, you should look no further than Wealden. Good prices and excellent service.

http://www.wealdentool.com/

They have an excellent mail order service and the guy, it seems to me that it's always the same one, on customer services is superb.

I haven't used it, but they also sell via their web site.

Cheers
Neil

I also have the T3 .. its fine as a lightweight router for freehand work. There is a little play in the plunge bearings so some care is needed ensure you apply pressure evenly when plunging.

I have used it with my dovetail jig with no problems.

As others have said, the main thing is to use good quality cutters - I would also recommend Wealden - super service and prices. A small diamond hone is also useful to keep the edges keen.
HTH
John

Thanks for the replies about router bits, I'll check out Wealden as I've never dealt with them but see the name in here so much they must be good to deal with.

Is the Trend T5 a 1/4" or 1/2" router ?

Cheers Dave.

Just ordered a T3 from D&M, not dealt with them before either but ordering was quick and simple and secure. Look forward to getting to grips with the T3 :wink:

Hi DT

I would recommend that you only buy 8mm, you get a lot more for your money.

Normally the price is the same for 8mm and 1/4".

Cheers
Neil

Latest posts

Back