Trend T3 router - please could someone measure the base?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I need to get in a tight gap and my smallest router (Trend T5) won't do it. Please could someone who has a T3 measure the smallest offset from the edge of the base to the centre of the router?
Many thanks
Gidon

Many thanks to both of you. That's weird - that's only 4mm less than the T5 - still won't fit. I thought the T3 was a lot smaller than the T5. I may need that laminate trimmer after all ...
Thanks again
Gidon

Hi Gidon

gidon":2ft9wif1 said:
I thought the T3 was a lot smaller than the T5. I may need that laminate trimmer after all ...

You can, of course, take the T3 out of it's base and use it freehand or put it into a drill stand.

Cheers
Neil

I make different size bases for my routers (usually bigger so i cant see why you cant make a smaller one . Ill take mine apart tomorrow and have a look for you . What size bas would you need ? and what are you cutting ? Ill give it a test run .

Hi Gidon

gidon":1wkgbk7g said:
Would it be easy to make a smaller base for it?

If you are thinking of replacing the holder to use a smaller base that is, imho, a non-starter.

Where are the width limitations that you are encountering? Are there any height problems?

I also have the small Bosch which is, iirc, narrower than the Trend. I'll have a look at it tonight.

Cheers
Neil

Thanks JFC, NN

I should have said what it was for: it's to cut a groove in the front door frame to fit some weather seal. I need to get in where the hinges are so need the base to be <= 40mm on one side.

I know it's only one small job but a smaller router would have paid itself on this project alone.

I had a look at B&Q yesterday and they are doing a PPro omnisaw for £40 with a router base which would do it but it doesn't fit the 1/4" router bit I have for cutting the groove.

On the other hand this tool from Toolstation may just do the job. Anyone any experience with this sort of tool? Can you fit a bearing guided cutter in this ok?

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":2gqihoju said:
On the other hand this tool from Toolstation may just do the job. Anyone any experience with this sort of tool? Can you fit a bearing guided cutter in this ok?

The collet is too small to fit a router bit. From memory they are 4 or 6 mm.

Oh, fair enough, either my memory is plain wrong or it is slightly different from the original - I forget the brand name - which I have. Horrible tool. Much smaller than a router base though. I'd guess 30mm offset.

Jake
I don't really like getting a tool for one job - especially if it turns out to be horrible like yours. Funny thing is I went to Speedy Tool Hire to hire a laminate trimmer (£15 for a day) - the chap said they had none in - and had no idea when it would be back! Then suggested that I'd be better off buying something from B&Q! At least I tried ;).
Cheers
Gidon

I'll have a look tonight to see if it does have a 1/4 inch collet, if it does, I'll send it to you if you want.

I was of course just being thick - given that 6.35mm is 1/4 inch.

Jake - that's a very kind offer!! But that's ok - you'll suddenly need it and will be sorry ...
In the end I've order the Toolstation one - hopefully it'll do the job at least and if it's rubbish it'll end up on Ebay.
Cheers
Gidon

Latest posts

Back