Trend T3 at 29.99

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Steve

Yes you're right, it is cracking value. I have a T3 and a T9, so I'm just off to find the price of the T5. :roll:

Well you have to complete the set, don't you? :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Mine has just arrived. Now what do I do next? Build a router table? Buy a small rodent & then build a router table or just complete the inlay work on the box?

For several years I resisted the tempation of router ownership but I have now spent the last two days trawling the web for router table plans, woodrat or leigh opinions & also found this Gifkins Jig http://www.gifkins.com.au/ has anyone here used one?

I am jumping the gun of course as I will be lucky to get a 4" box completetd in time let alone build a router table/cabinet or master any of the afore mentioned jigs.

Never mind at least I have soemthing to occupy my mind while at work.

AndyP

Neil,

Thanks for the tip - ordered mine yesterday.

I already have a T9, which is an awesome beast, but is a tad heavy for more delicate tasks, so the T3 should solve that problem.

What part of Wales are you from originally (my commiserations on having to live on the wrong side of the border) :D

Dedee

I'll bet your pleased with it :lol:

I would have to suggest that the T3 is too small for a traditional router table and the guide rails are an add-on which do not track as truly as a dedicated assembly such as T5 or T9 which may cause serious issues when taking several passes to increase depth of cut.

Possibly a simple jig of some sort might be better with this router? I think that I would try for a small jig that holds the router horizontally

I only use my T3 for freehand routing or up against a guide rail and it is very sell suited to this.

Just my opinion

Tony,
thanks I do realise the t3 is probably too low powered for use with those large jigs. My comments were a little tongue in cheek having just amused myself for several hours by reading the archives on woodrat vs leigh.

Could you expand on your comment about holding the router horizontally - I've not seen any jigs that do this.

Andy

Just a thought really

I think that holding the router horizontally with a table that rises and falls would make a very versatile tool

A couple of pieces of MDF conneted at 90 degrees should do it. You coud always allow the horizontal to rotate about the connection to the vertical and set the table at various angles to the router bit. Just need a mechanism to lock it in place

I would slot the vertical MDF to allow the horizontal 'table' to rise and fall for depth of cut.

Put some support pieces between vertical and horizontal sections a the sides (a bit like on the Delta Tenon jig) to stengthen and allow angle to be set and clamped

You could easily put a further vertical piece of MDF underneath to allow it to be clamped into a bench vice of make a box for it all to sit in on your bench

If you are interested in making one and this description is not clear enough, I will try and sketch what is in my head

PM me if yoiu need a sketch with your email address

Hi TT

Taffy Turner":3ir3cb3z said:
What part of Wales are you from originally (my commiserations on having to live on the wrong side of the border) :D

Pontypridd, well Treforest actually. Nottingham is a lovely City, but quite different to home.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Dedee,
I use a 14''x8'' laminated ply top, with a 2''x2'' inch cut out
on one of the long sides. The top is supported by two verticals 6''x 6''
x3/4'', which in turn stand on a 14''x8'' base.
The router is mounted in another piece of lam.ply 14''x12''(standard mounting). This piece is fixed at 90deg to the table top by means of threaded rod,wing nuts and tee-nuts( tee-nuts set into edge of the
table top,equidistant from cut-out ),( routed slots,2''long, in vertical piece)
Two further threaded rods can be added(through tee-nuts),
down vertically, through the horizontal, top edge of the router panel,so
that they sit on the other rods at 90deg giving micro-adjustment.

I'm not sure if this makes any sense :? ,but i can post a pic if you like :D

TX

Newbie_Neil":3c3dnnks said:
Hi TT

Taffy Turner":3c3dnnks said:

Pontypridd, well Treforest actually. Nottingham is a lovely City, but quite different to home.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil,

I live just outside Caerphilly, and work in Tonypandy, so I drive through Ponty every day. I can imagine that Nottingham is a little different to home!

I have worked all over the place in the UK, but still haven't found anywhere I would rather live that South Wales (now the Colorado Rockies is a different matter altogether!!!).

Dedee,
I've posted the jig pics in the gallery.
The table top and base size are 20''x14'', i was only guessing from
memory before :oops:

TX

Latest posts

Back