Trend T11 & Triton

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodshavings

Established Member
Reaction score
GW has an interesting review of routers, including the T11, in this months issue BUT it doesn't compare the T11 with the Triton. It mentions the Triton but makes no comment on how it compares.

I hope to purchase one or the other primarily for table use. I like the Triton auto locking spindle and cooling design etc. and before the T11 release, that was my preferred choice.

Now I'm wondering about the T11; how easy is it to change the cutter when table mounted; how effective is the chip extraction method etc.

Appreciate any views on these issues.

Thanks, John

Hi

that GWW router article was pretty poor. Hit the bin within 5 minutes of getting it. They didn't even review Or show a photo of the Porter Cable which has been voted best on test time and time again in most mags :roll: :roll:

I posted a review on here of my Triton and have had a few good looks at the T11.

no contest. Trition hands-down. It ain't even a close race

the T11 has that little raizer addition but that is all. the Triton has a supreb raise/lower system and I see no real advantage in buying the Trend but many disadvantages

Read my review to see what benefits the Triton offers

For the Record, i am a fan of Trend gear and do own two Trend routers + various other items.

Hi Tony, thanks for reply - yes I had read your review - excellent stuff - thanks. You are right about the GWW review - it was very superficial. :shock:

I just want to be sure about the T11/Triton and was hoping for a real side by side comparison before I part with folding stuff!

John

woodshavings":39n9uqxe said:
I just want to be sure about the T11/Triton and was hoping for a real side by side comparison before I part with folding stuff!

John

Absolutely understand where you're coming from. I considered the T9 a long time back but passed on it for the Porter Cable.

My local B&Q stocks the Triton and Trend routers - try yours for a static comparison.

I restate that there is no comparison between Triton and T11 - one is an old design with a cheap-'n'-cheerful raizer added, the other was designed from the outset to go in a table

Having seen the GW review I was totally disappointed that they did not review the Triton although they took an ad in the supplement. The triton is great in a table with the locking option and the motor has the grunt.
The circle cutting option that clips onto the Triton is also a major plus and can be extended in range with a simple hardwood jig. It cuts circles within circles that I cannot achieve with a band saw.
The fence with the Triton is not great.
Sorry I have not used the trend T11 , so I might be seeing things through rose coloured specs but the Triton table mounted , is hard to beat

I own the triton and have not used it with any anger yet. But can agree with the others guys comments. The triton just feels good. In my research it always came out on top.

I was also miffed that the trition router was not in that review. But then I have tended to ignore magazine reviews of late. It seems with the power of the internet, you can get the real story.

I can't imagine you being disapointed with the Triton. I've yet to hear a bad review of it.

John
I have the T11, like it a lot. All you could expect from a pro rated router. Havent tried the Triton so no help there and am currently re-building my router table to make the most of the T11. Will report back once I have given it a fair going :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

I have a Triton. It stays permanently in the table and I agree with all that Tony says. It is perfect for the job (if that is possible) because it was designed to do it. The fine adjuster works very well indeed and it has a motor that is powerful enough to make any cutter eat wood easily.
No contest!

Cheers.

SF

I use my T11 every day, inverted in a table and I'm delighted with it.

Whether its better than the Triton or not is difficult for me to say, having not tried the other. However, I certainly wouldn't emphatically rule one out based on a static comparison in a B&Q aisle! :roll:

Cheers

Tim

tim":2i65a62q said:
I certainly wouldn't emphatically rule one out based on a static comparison in a B&Q aisle! :roll:

Cheers

Tim

That's why I was so dissappointed with the GWW review - they should of been able to make a "real life" comparison.

I really appreciate the comments from the Forum .. its clear that what ever I decide, it's going to be a big step up from the Power Pro currently fitted in my table although thats done stirling service!

I'm hoping that both models will be on demo at the Kempton Show although Triton don't seem to be listed. :(

John

I raised this topic a few weeks ago and given the Tritons design reducing falling dust entering the casing when inverted decided to go for the Triton over the T11. My only problem now is finding a Triton on offer. Triton does not seem to have a big dealership network, so street prices are not competitive and all that I have seen remain at RRP (£249). I think I'll wait for the International at Stoneleigh and see if there are any show offers to be had.

Freetochat":3agj0xjx said:
I raised this topic a few weeks ago and given the Tritons design reducing falling dust entering the casing when inverted decided to go for the Triton over the T11. My only problem now is finding a Triton on offer. Triton does not seem to have a big dealership network, so street prices are not competitive and all that I have seen remain at RRP (£249). I think I'll wait for the International at Stoneleigh and see if there are any show offers to be had.
I was given a second Triton router as a present - it is still in its plastic wrapping
I want £170 for it. you can collect or the postage is your cost.
Thanks

I too have recently purchased the T11, having been just about to take the plunge with the DeWalt 625, but the router raiser feature swung it for me as the main intended use is in a table.

In practice so far the raiser feature has been excellent and really makes a difference to ease and accuracy of use without the expense of an after market fitment.

Like Philly I need to make a new table to do it justice and would be interested in anybody elses ideas, pictures or plans.

Having difficulty locating any formica for the top and fence though, although I believe I may need to order it from one of the builders merchants but am never organised enough to do that ! Does anyone know somewhere near Basingstok, Hampshire that stocks it or any mail order supplier ?

Thks

welcome to the forum chisel, may I ask what made you dismiss the Triton?

Hi Wizer

To be honest the Triton never really made it onto my radar screen.

I thought I recalled some lukewarm reviews of it in the mags at one stage also.

The Trend was probably better publicised and more readily available although that is a bit of a subjective thing to say.

Interestingly, a few weeks after I bought it (a few months ago now) they were recalled due to a torque setting being wrong on assembly, and mine was returned. The replacement was shipped promptly and the nice people at Trend sent a decent quality 6 piece cutter set with the replacement by way of an apology.

Being a bit cheeky I rang them and said that given the inconvenience caused that the cutter set was appreciated as a gesture but did not seem adequate compensation and they kindly said I could choose any of the Trend accessories up to £30 and they would send them free :D

I chose the router insert plate and am trying to get round to making the table to go with it though Senior Management keep finding other things for me to do with my weekends !

So wouldn't be able to say which of the two is better, but don't see anybody being dissapointed with the T11 having used it myself for a while now, seems to do everything I can think of very well indeed :D

Cheers

Thanks Waka, a pretty impressive router table !

I noticed mention in one of the links to laminate faced mdf, does anyone know if that would be suitable for the router table top and where I could source some from ?

Thks

anyone else notice the similarity between the Trend T11 and the CMT 1850 router. They seem identical bar the colour, i wonder if they had a similar recall

Back