Trend sign maker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skronk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Do Trend make a sign maker similar to the Milescaft or Rutlands one ?

I noted a pic online (2009) showing the Trend font which looked nicer than the other 2.

I have searched online but cannot find.

hi, skronk, is that the one that Rutlands have an offer on right now?
chris

I don't think they do, but the basic Trend letter templates can be used with good results, and fairly quickly with a little practice.
I found the trick is to spend a few moments laying the lettering out, using a baseline to get it all in line.

It is a shame the Milescraft/Rutlands type setups doesn't have a particularly nice font. I was tempted to buy one and have a new set of lettering made up (water jet cut) with something like the trend font, but never really got around to doing it.

soulboy":3bcojkxa said:
hi, skronk, is that the one that Rutlands have an offer on right now?
chris

Yes, I would have bought one, but the font is not as nice as the Trend font in the pic I found on the web.

Hitch":2x7kcguf said:
I don't think they do, but the basic Trend letter templates can be used with good results, and fairly quickly with a little practice.
I found the trick is to spend a few moments laying the lettering out, using a baseline to get it all in line.

It is a shame the Milescraft/Rutlands type setups doesn't have a particularly nice font. I was tempted to buy one and have a new set of lettering made up (water jet cut) with something like the trend font, but never really got around to doing it.

So how do you manage to secure the templates without a frame ?

This may be a daft question but...... I take it the Trend letters are individual ? Advertising blurb shows them as 5-6 together like a stencil ruler.

The trend ones are as you have seen, 5-6 letters, all in one template.

I use a couple of quickgrip clamps mostly.

Sometimes if its the first letter on the template and the last letter on your sign or whatever, it can be a pain having enough room to clamp it on.
When that happens, I use a piece of timber the same thickness as a spacer at the other end of the template, with the template and spacer clamped to a larger board as well as work piece clamped to the board. Sounds more complicated than it is.

I used to use mine a lot, here is a few examples...
'THE' was done with a simple little homemade jig.

Another tip for the Trend ones, I found it was easier to mark it all up on the timber, with the final outline of the sign, do all the routing, the cut the plaque out. Doing it that way often eliminates some of the clamping problem I mentioned above. It also allows it to be trimmed so the lettering ends up central.

Attachments

• signs.jpg
    signs.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 37
Nice work Hitch.

My problem is that I prefer Rutlands way of laying out using single letters as opposed to Trends ruler type design. However the Rutlands font is not so great !!

More thought required !

Latest posts

Back