Trend pocket hole jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CYC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am considering buying the Trend pocket hole jig. I know there is a review of it on this site but let's face it it's not much of a review (sorry James, I know you like though!).
During my Chest of drawers project I could have benefited from this jig for the face frame. Now I have 2 projects coming up which would make good use of it.

I have one concern on this jig. There is not pilot hole made on the timber which receives the piece you make the pocket holes in. Do you get splits sometimes? I know they say you use tapping screws but can anyone confirm it works well and never get splits?

Any comments in general would be welcome :D

I do buckets of pocket hole joinery, including for face frames. It is possible to get splits but easily avoided by getting stuff the right way round and making sure you are not too close to an unsupported edge. I use the Trend (fine thread) pocket screws which are pretty trouble free.
I have used pocket screws in american ash with good results. Now all my cabinets are in 18mm birch ply, which are ideal for pocket screws.
The most important thing with PS's are to cramp the componets up tightly in the correct position before inserting the screws. The screws do exert a force in the direction of the angle, so allow for that. Also, unless the pieces are cramped together tightly sawdust can accumulate where the screw exits one piece and enters the next. Ideally the two pieces should be cramped in all 3 planes
With careful cramping and position adjustoing with the cramps half tight ( I use a Stanley Steelmaster hammer with lots of masking tape on the striking face for this) then your joints will be very accurate, more so than can be achieved with biscuits, and as soon as the screws are in, off come the cramps! No need to wait for glue to dry
John

Hi CYC,
I second John's comments on the clamping.
I've had the Trend ph jig for about 6 mths. It works very well,
adjustable width of holes,holds the w/piece or itself securely and
can be used upside down,sideways etc

TX

Thanks John and Tx2man, I have decided to purchase it today on my way home :wink: :D

I'll be using it next WE as my father is visiting the Green Island with a project to bring home (unassembled).

Back