Trend Mortice & Tenon Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knot Competent

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any experience of this jig? Just got mine, and can't work out how to register the timber to the jig in order to cut the mortice in the right place. Have studied the book but can't seem to find the answer.

Any help would be appreciated as I need to get on with the mortises first thing tomorrow, and can't afford the time away from the workshop to sit on the phone to Axminster after 8.30am tomorrow. Some tea-leaf nicked my Mobile on Tuesday so I'm stuffed - can't communicate from the workshop.

Regards, John

Hi John,
I have one of these,and will be using it again next week on my latest project.
You cut the tenon first, right? Then ,if the piece for the mortise is the same thickness you just clamp it in, line it up and go with the mortise cuts.
If the mortise piece is thinner/ thicker, you line the set up bar over the center line of the mortise.
You then line up the ends of the mortise with the marks on the set-up bar.
Is this what you're asking?
Philly

Thanks for your reply, Philly. Yes, I've successfully cut the tenons, and the wood is all the same thickness. But what do you line the mortise up with? For them to be in the right place, what do my two pencil lines locate to? Maybe I'm having a Senior moment, but it just isn't obvious!

Regards, John

I've worked it out. The setup bar slides from one end of the mortise to the other, limits set by the size you're cutting e.g. half-inch. Sort of fiddley for a load of mortises, thought it would be simpler.

Still, it's a time-saver on a long run of the same thing, so worth the money in the long run. Nice clean joints too. The long reach cutters are better than the cheap and nasty cutters I've been using up to now. Just goes to show that cheap tools are not economic, but if that's all you can afford at the time, hey ho!

Regards, and thanks again Philly, John

Glad you got it!
Yeah, remember to use the set-up bar marks that relate to the width of the tenon and your away. The jig really is very clever! One other tip-be gentle with the router. If you press down too hard you can warp the plate slightly and makes a cut out of square.
Apart from that -enjoy!
regards
Philly :D

Hi John

You might already be doing this, but when using the jig mark all pieces for edge and face. When you rout them always have the mark facing the same way. Either into the jig or out towards you, it doesn't matter which as long as you are consistent.

This way, it doesn't matter if the tenon or mortice isn't perfectly centered.

Cheers
Neil

PS This was an earlier tip from Philly.

Thanks for that, Neil. Explains one or two slight discrepancies. There's a lot to learn in a short time!
Regards, John

Philly or Neil,

Following your tip of not worrying too much about an accurate centre line, just keeping all the joints the same by always putting wood in the jig with face toward you, what do you do if you need to cut tenons with a haunch on one side?

Reveal the mysteries please, wood wizards!

Regards, John

Hi John

Knot Competent":17395l3l said:
what do you do if you need to cut tenons with a haunch on one side?

I'm sorry, but I've not cut any haunched tenons using the M&T jig. :oops:

A quick test using some softwood is probably called for.

Or, failing that, you could contact the trend technical department [email protected] or give them a ring on 01923 224 681

Sorry I couldn't do more to help.

Cheers
Neil

Back