Trend Mini CNC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanleymonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone has any experience of these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWrUN-9xkpg

Have seen them in action at a couple of shows and want to put in a bid at work for two of these for DT teaching. They come with all the site licences we need and the software is very child friendly.

I know they are quite small, but for children's projects they will be very useful. We only have small classes here and the projects can be planned out so that only one or two classes need use them at the same time.

Any helpful suggestions - I plan on getting the rep to come in and demonstrate them in use

you did notice time for a piece that size was 15 hours

I did spot that. I'm sure that was just for the big 3D carving . I guess they want to show that off in the video, but it must have hundreds of passes to complete it.

Wanted to use it more for cutting out small parts, with quite simple tool paths. Small pieces that slot and link together to make larger structures. Cogs and gears, key tags, some engraving. Also simple projects like a maze for a ballbearing, where a couple of hours cutting should get the whole piece done. Hopefully these will all be much shorter. With two machines running, a couple of jobs each a day should be enough.

Please close this thread immediately.

I have absolutely no need for one of these ......... but I want one :wink:

Have you considered a laser cutter?
for the things you are suggesting it will be vastly superior.

Sorry if this is completely off topic.

I've never seen the trend one but have worked and played with various CNC machines over the years and reckon that the trend unit is a nice box over the standard Chinese made mini CNC machine. it will cut soft woods and ply wood and take a 1/4" or 8mm cutter but don't expect it to cut hard woods well. will cut some plastics but avoid acrylic as it's likely to overheat it on the cut and fling it everywhere, fine if it isn't in a box, a pain in the buttocks if it is, which adds another point, how hard is it to clean out? can you fit extraction? if it's difficult for either of these then it becomes a paper weight.

sit down and write a risk assessment for it (you are going to have to do it anyway) as part of your bid, don't just aim it as safety but also think about costs and maintenance.

novocaine":352vr0y6 said:
Have you considered a laser cutter?
for the things you are suggesting it will be vastly superior.

Sorry if this is completely off topic.

I've never seen the trend one but have worked and played with various CNC machines over the years and reckon that the trend unit is a nice box over the standard Chinese made mini CNC machine. it will cut soft woods and ply wood and take a 1/4" or 8mm cutter but don't expect it to cut hard woods well. will cut some plastics but avoid acrylic as it's likely to overheat it on the cut and fling it everywhere, fine if it isn't in a box, a pain in the buttocks if it is, which adds another point, how hard is it to clean out? can you fit extraction? if it's difficult for either of these then it becomes a paper weight.

sit down and write a risk assessment for it (you are going to have to do it anyway) as part of your bid, don't just aim it as safety but also think about costs and maintenance.

Thanks - I like the idea of risk assessing ahead of purchase. That will make me think clearly.

Dust extraction - I seem to remember that it filtered its own air ( I guess it needs regular hoovering out) but I will need to check on that.

Geoff_S":2eix1wd8 said:
Please close this thread immediately.

I have absolutely no need for one of these ......... but I want one :wink:

I see you're in London. If I get one you can come and use it...

You can volunteer for a few school trips as well!!

Droogs":3gpfsfwq said:

That one looks very solid. Might look into that.

Child friendly software licences might be an issue. Only problem with an uncovered machine is that I work in an tiny school. Might have to be based in an defunct office and need to be enclosed.

The better option could be a Denford cnc router. Check out their website for info. All made in the UK and fully supported by the company and a good forum. The router on the smaller ones is a Porter Cable which uses quarter inch or half inch bits. I have had one for 2 years now and love it. It will cut up to 18 inches x 12 inches which is fine for most of my needs at present. Quite often pop up on ebay/gumtree second hand as well. Might also be possible to get a grant to buy a new one.

I have an X-Carve from Inventables, if I was in the market now I would get one from Ooznest in Essex. Very good back up and support according to those that have bought from them.

Back