TREND HINGE JIG INFO/ADVICE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Looking into buying the Trend hinge jig and wondered if anybody had any views on it or any other hinge jigs/templates.

Rgds :D

Michel

Those ******* :twisted: at Trend :!:
I came up with the design for this jig years ago. I made it out of some scraps of hardwood, took about half a day including the design. Works a treat, and by the looks of it, the Trend one will do too. You can even buy 4" hinges with rounded corners so that you don't need to square up the corners of the hinge mortice.
They think of everything, don't they!

Hi Michel

Michel":3dc0t11g said:
Looking into buying the Trend hinge jig and wondered if anybody had any views on it or any other hinge jigs/templates.

Why don't you make your own? The template is very easy to make and it gives you a lot of pleasure.

Why don't you have a look at the "Template Tom/Routing master" postings on the general forum? Have a look at his web site. I'm sure that Tom will give you any help you need.

Cheers
neil

Newbie_Neil":3fi4mnne said:
The template is very easy to make and it gives you a lot of pleasure.
Heck Neil, you really need to get out more... :lol:

What they said, Michel. Even a routing disaster area like me can manage to make one and thus laugh in the face of Trend and their outrageous prices. Although have you considered a butt mortice plane instead...? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Cheers Alf

never seen or used a butt mortice plane before, so i think i will stick with routing until i get a bit more adventurous!!!!!!!

does anybody know of any home made (jig) examples on the net??

Rgds :D

Michel

As it happens I've never used a butt mortice plane before either

Not just me then :lol:

I made my own jig for single hinges out of a bit of ply and a wood stop for 4 and 3 1/2 inch hinges, but liked the idea of the trend one because it saves time setting out and you can router all the hinges in one go.

Rgds

Michel

Would it be any help to you if I posted a picture of my hinge jig? It cuts hinges from the smallest you'll ever find up to 6x3" butts. Can also be used to hinge the mortices on the door frames.

Hi Aragorn

Aragorn":1u0r2rdp said:
Would it be any help to you if I posted a picture of my hinge jig? It cuts hinges from the smallest you'll ever find up to 6x3" butts. Can also be used to hinge the mortices on the door frames.

Yes please, that would be excellent.

Thanks
Neil

Hi Aragorn,

yes i will second that, it would be very helpful

Rgds :lol:

Michel

template tom":5ncbpsy0 said:
need some advice to posting pics

Two ways of doing it.
A. put the picture on a web site somewhere, then use the IMG tags around the url of the picture file.
B. join the Gallery, its a separate system so you need to register with it. Then post your picture in to the Gallery. It can use a web based file or it will upload a file from your local disk on to this site. Then point to it there.

Hope this helps :!:

You sound as pig sick as I was Aragorn.
I felt that way after designing, making & testing a jig when I found the longest task when making anything from contiboard was drilling screw holes.
My jig was made to use with plasplugs chipboard plugs & they stopped making them just after my 1st use of the jig, making a wardrobe.
Fortunately, I found quite a few in a B&Q reduced/end of line bin & bought the lot.
They have lasted me 14 years so far.
Because I made the steel drill bushes for 3/16" & 5/16" holes I can now use it as a dowelling jig for 8mm dowels.
Perfect corner joints, edge joints & shelf supports on any width up to 36" wide board.

Michel
Sorry - forgot to get round to it. I've posted a pic in the workshop jigs section of the gallery. Hope that is clear enough to see how it works.
Aragorn

Hi Aragorn,

thanks for posting the picture in the gallery its very helpful :D

Rgds :lol:

Michel

Back