Trend fasttrack

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks rather neat and clever marketing...like who would buy it and NOT want the 600 grit?

Which brings me on to the question of supply. Try finding it from an internet stockist. Axminster...nope..as presumably it competes with one of their other ranges. Rutlands? Ditto.

Is there anyone out there who stocks the complete range of Trend stuff via an ecommerce site?

Speaking to Trend reveals a sadly antiquated attitude to retail. You can stick in a postcode but then you're expected to jump in your car and drive 30 miles round trip. No guarantee that they stock it, of course, but you can order mail order. Just seems a bit 'old fashioned' these days.

Looks awfully expensive for something that is limited to two honing angles...

Cheers,
Neil

I think it looks rather clever.

I bought a set of files (one body plus three plates) at a show last year. Will file anything, says the bloke. They are excellent, and it looks like this is the same stuff.

Seems to me, though, that the problem with all these jigs is the difficulty in grinding a crowned edge. So great for chisels, and if you keep a plane blade for shooting, great too. But standard plane irons are not going to perform as well, I don't care how sharp they are, if they are not the right shape, are they?

Am I missing something?

Cheers
Steve

I was looking at this too, wondering if it'd solve the problem the Old Man has with sharpening. i.e. He doesn't like doing it 'cos it's easier to chuck everything at me to do. :roll: But it's not cheap, as Steve says it's a straight edge or nowt, and it doesn't do the back. Clever idea, but the price needs to come down a bundle for such limited use in my opinion. And why does it want to tell me stockists of the T9 router when I enter my postcode to find a stockist for a sharpening doodah?! ](*,)

Cheers, Alf

Hi,

I did see this demonstrated at the "Woodworkers' autojumble" at the place in Northampton see this thread "https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5122

I thought it was quite nifty.

Not having had much success at sharpening yet being fairly new to woodworking I was tempted and SWMBO said go on get one as it was on offer, so I did.

Interestingly the bloke demonstrating said use honing oil on it and did in his demo. The instructions say use dry. Any thoughts on this advice?

I have tried it dry and it seems to do a fairly good job.

Gav

I've been sent one but I have not had chance to try it yet, it does look well made though and has a very smooth action.

I have been wondering though what difference it will make having all the ridges created by the diamond stones running across the edge rather than along it.

Keith Smith":3ovmmqf5 said:
I have been wondering though what difference it will make having all the ridges created by the diamond stones running across the edge rather than along it.

That was my first thought as well, I cannot think of any other hand jig that does that, but some of the flat disc type grinders are almost the same action on small blades. I don't think it will produce a burr or wire edge that needs the back rubbed to remove it.

If my memory serves me correctly, in the dim and distant past when I was an appentice(to noah). We were told not to sharpen blades with the scratch marks running along the edge as this would lead to a tendency for the edge to fold and the subsequent loss of sharpness.

Bean

I think it was either PW or Woodsmith mag had an article on making one similar, but larger version of this. Except it held the blade in question. It used the SS system, so you can go higher in grits and longer strokes. Much more efficient, and the jig was just made from wood scraps.

It too "suffers" from the issue of cambering the corners of planes blades as the present LV MK.II jig, with the same method for accomplishing it. Which is simply applying increasing pressure at one corner during the stroke forward and decreasing as the guide comes back. Then switching corners.

A few strokes that way at least creates a nice camber for smoothers where one doesn't need a radius at the edge.

Back