Trend Competition Entry - completed coffee table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I admire the diplomatic restraint, folks, I really do. No-one's asked if I made the deadline! Well I did - just. And here's the completed article:

038coffeetable.jpg

Wrapped, natch...
biggrin.gif

Oh, okay, some pics of the finished item, and I wish I was better at taking them... This isn't the room where it was designed for, btw; not had enough sun to take a decent shot in there unfortunately. Dimensions: 850mm long, 587mm wide and 480mm tall.

036coffeetable.JPG

You might be able to make out that I relieved the botoms of the legs a little with a few swipes of the spokeshave.

033coffeetable.JPG

032coffeetable.JPG

No-one's going to see it from this angle usually, but what the heck.

034coffeetable.JPG

Anyway, it was well-received and my nephew earned himself huge numbers of Auntie points by saying "That's one piece isn't it? You can't see the join" about the top.
harhar.gif
Clever boy... But the acid test - Kitty (the cleaner my mum inherited) likes it. Without her approval it would have been dusty firewood by Easter...
blink.gif
Damn near killed me 'cos they didn't open it 'til gone 7pm on Crimbo day; I was a nervous wreck wondering if they'd like it.
ph34r.gif

Cheers, Alf

WIP pics here

P.S. If someone can tell me how to lose the serrated edge effect on a couple of the pics, I'd be obliged.

Alf,

Very well done, it looks super!

You are a proper woodworker after all :wink:

Must be good for many many workshop brownie points (Dad I need a new... "Why of course my Darling Daughter, whatever you want..")

A lovely piece of furniture Alf. I really do like it a lot :)

The jagged edges are artefacts of the resolution and compression on images - higher resolution on camera or less comrpession will reduce them but I would expect to see some jaggedness on computer monitors as they pixelate an angled edge

Alf, Serrated edge effects are usually a consequence of the size or resolution or compression level that is chosen in making the picture web ready. You can usually get rid of them by altering these parametrs a bit.

If possible when reducing size, do it in exact 50% steps that usually preserves the quality best.

Mmm, figured as much. I'll have a bit of a fiddle and see if I can improve it, if I remember to.

"Proper woodworker after all"...?!
annoyed.gif
Buggrit, I tole 'em, I tole 'em...
tounge.gif

Thanks, chaps.
smile.gif

Cheers, Alf

Nice table Alf. Makes me glad I was too busy making a chess set for my daughter to compete.

nice one alf will you be makeing a matching one for the other side of the couch 8)

ps what do you want a tailed demon for :wink: :wink:

nice Job Alfer.... yea..... I like that...

sooooooo...... what's next on the cards...?????

V V Nice Alf, good job :)

have been about but only just realise that i wasnt logged in, wondered why I wasnt seeing the new post icons :oops:

Signal

Interesting design and construction, and nice choice of woods, coupled with consumate skills has given a superb result for someone who doesn't often make things, so she says................... :roll: :wink:

Smashin', Alf. 8)

Cheers,

Trev.

Super table,Alf
Well done, see what happens when you get the power tools out? :roll:
You'll be inquiring about dado's next.......
Seriously-good job! What's next???
regards
Philly :D

Very nice. It came together well. Good use of the woodrat too!

Adam

Alf, very nice.
You really should level off the floorboards as they make the bottom of the legs look uneven :wink: :wink: .

Andy

Very nice, Alf - I fear I may now have motivational difficulties getting my router table entry finished by the end of Jan!

Neil

dedee":2n6nuut2 said:
You really should level off the floorboards as they make the bottom of the legs look uneven :wink: :wink: .
Hah! Blasted builder's merchant sponge boards; been in there about 8? 9? years now, and all have cupped without exception. The original ones were gorgeous, and so thick! Alas the dreaded worm had got 'em and they had to go. I rescued what I could though, so they live on. But you probably meant that in jest, so "cheeky" is the response you deserve.
tounge.gif

DaveL":2n6nuut2 said:
Whats the punishment for getting a cup ring on it? :shock:
Let's just say death would be preferred...
biggrin.gif
I did manage to hold my tongue when someone pulled a bowl of crisps across it over Christmas; pretty good to resist a "pick the ruddy thing up, you lazy so-and-so" rant so early I thought. But I'm resigned really; after all, it's just patina in its early stages...
unsure.gif

Thanks for the kind words, peeps; much appreciated. I seem to have given myself a hardish act to follow - the obvious solution is not to risk the inevitable failure of a follow-up project, right?
whistling.gif
Alas, already there've been mutterings about side tables and such, and with a major wedding anniversary cropping up later this year it seems a "pair" might be in order. Just wish I knew how I could condense my customary 2 year planning habit into something nearer 2 months.
blink.gif
I don't even want to think about trying to make two things the same...

Cheers, Alf

Edit: Found the original UKWW post asking for design critique - February 2003!

I am - as is often the case - late to the thread, but thought I'd just add my own 'well done' to the clamour :).

Back