Trend Biscuit Jointer u/s

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
Typical, you get half way through a project and my long serving Trend biscuit jointer gives up the ghost. (Motor started running slow then kept fusing)

Contacted Trend who because it's long discontinued no longer offer support. Also don't have a Trend dealer close by.

Loath to bin it as it's served me well and I'd rather repair than replace.

Any suggestions regarding where I might get it repaired gratefully received.

If there’s no local trend dealer it might be worth contacting your local tool hire shop, the one I use have an in house operative who services the tools they hire out & they are quite willing to service tools I take in.

If there’s no local trend dealer it might be worth contacting your local tool hire shop, the one I use have an in house operative who services the tools they hire out & they are quite willing to service tools I take in.
Thanks Doug. There's a tool hire place not far from here I'll give them a buzz.

For what it's worth, if it was me, I'd weigh up the pros and cons of trying to repair vs. replace. Things wear out and whilst its always nice to repair, it could be a more expensive option than to replace with another biscuit jointer. You can get them new from £70 or thereabouts and upwards from the likes of Screwfix and there's always the option to buy secondhand. Also, if you're mid-project, you could be without the tool for some considerable time and the wait could be extended by COVID.

For what it's worth, if it was me, I'd weigh up the pros and cons of trying to repair vs. replace. Things wear out and whilst its always nice to repair, it could be a more expensive option than to replace with another biscuit jointer. You can get them new from £70 or thereabouts and upwards from the likes of Screwfix and there's always the option to buy secondhand. Also, if you're mid-project, you could be without the tool for some considerable time and the wait could be extended by COVID.
Thanks Popey, tried local tool hire shop they reckon it’s the motor and said to try Trend repair dealers in case they might have a spare one lying around. Haven’t heard back from the 3 I contacted. Looking like it might be a new one. As the chap in the hire shop said, nobody wants to mend anymore which is a shame. We really do live in a ‘throw away’ society. I’d happily buy one that would be easily serviceable.

Could it be the carbon motor bushes ?. They do wear right down.

Boss had a makita 4" belt, sat there till I asked what was wrong and told the bushes were worn.
Given they are just carbon, i took some that come supplied with cheap routers and sanded then to fit. Viola working = Happy boss.

According to google if a motor is turning slowly, its usually the bushes. Can you access them on the trend ? - Took another look and replacement bushes look like you need to open the case, though the connections are the push on fitting.

Could it be the carbon motor bushes ?. They do wear right down.

Boss had a makita 4" belt, sat there till I asked what was wrong and told the bushes were worn.
Given they are just carbon, i took some that come supplied with cheap routers and sanded then to fit. Viola working = Happy boss.

According to google if a motor is turning slowly, its usually the bushes. Can you access them on the trend ? - Took another look and replacement bushes look like you need to open the case, though the connections are the push on fitting.

Jointer update. Didn’t fancy stripping it down as it looks complicated so phoned local tool hire shop. Will have to source brushes and we’ll get back to you- that was on Monday.
There’s a place in Alloa (15 miles away) I’ve used before. Going to give them a ring today- otherwise it unfortunately looks like a new one.

Back