Trend Airshield

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnjin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I just thought I would let you know my thoughts and experience of the Trend Airshield.
After many years of not bothering with anything as far as dust protection goes, my wife finally got on to me to get something for the dust. I had just recently started using hardwood and MDF and must admit that I was getting a little concerned after reading some of the horror stories about what the dust can do to you. After reading a lot of reports about all the different systems I decided on the Trend Airshield. The reason I went for this was that it covered my face completely and pumped cool clean air constantly over my face. Being someone who wears glasses, it was important to me that they didn’t steam up. It also left me completely mobile with no wires dangling and you can flip up the visor if you want to. It will run for four hours on a single battery charge and takes only seconds to change to another one.
Well I’ve had this for just over six months now and to be completely honest I must have been stupid not buying it long before. When I’m turning it stops all the chips from coming in your face and there is no problem at all with the dust. Routering is great without the taste of dust when using MDF but because of its compactness you have the freedom to move around at will. Sanding, planing, thicknessing it really is good because of the freedom it gives you. A second battery is a must as it takes fourteen hours to charge. You can even put two batteries in at the same time which will give you eight hours continuous running. If you do this then I would recommend a second charger because of the charging time.
After saying all these good points about this mask we come down to whether it is value for money. Well it certainly does everything that it should do but imho it is well over priced. There is nothing solid about this mask and I just can’t understand how they can justify the price for the mask or the batteries. The only reason they can get away with these prices is there doesn’t seem to be any comparable competition. So even believing that it is so over priced I would still recommend this to anyone. It won’t remove the dust floating around in the air in your workshop but it will stop it from getting into your lungs all the time you are wearing it. If you have no other protection from dust at all, I really believe you can’t go wrong with the Trend Airshield.
All the best
John

John,

Thanks for this - I've been looking seriously at this item for a while now, based on the many recommendations on this forum. Your review basically summarised my own thinking, i.e. good but a little expensive.

However, you've also concurred with my "research" that there's nothing else cheaper that works as well (especially with glasses...) so I guess it's time to take the plunge!

Thanks again,
Paul.

The air shield is a great idea but do you wear it 8 hours a day 5 days a week ?

JFC,

Having recently "taken the plunge" and purchased an Airshield, I so far can completely agree with all of the positive comments on this site. As a hobbyist, I can't say I wear it 8 hours a day, 5 days a week (in fact far from it!). However, it is comfortable to wear and I have worn it for over an hour without any problems.

As I don't yet have dust extraction yet, I notice a big difference after an evening's work in terms of no sawdust in the mouth and nose - that for me makes it worth wearing.

Paul.

Paul im not knocking it i think its a great idea and think anyone that is doing a few hours a day / week should invest in at least some type of protection from dust . I am living proof that the dust gets to you !
I have a great extractor but my workshop is like most here i think ....a shed at the end of the garden . My tools are mostly site tools not pro workshop tools (although im getting there ) so the extractor mainly hoovers up the dust at the end of the day ( along with my drill bits and router cutters :x )
Ive tried wearing protection ( dust protection :lol: ) even down to a small paper mask but all day every day is just to much . guess ill suffer later in life eh :cry:

Hi, I'm in total agreement with the above.I'm just a weekend woodworker but after buying my airshield about six months ago would not be without it.Overpriced but it does everything you could ask of it.My only gripe is,I would prefer it if the batteries could be left in the visor and the charger just plugged into it.This would save the chore of stripping the helmet apart every time I need to charge the battery.
All in all I would say this is one item you need to ignore the price of and just buy.At the end of the day you only get one pair of lungs!

I have to agree that the Airshield is worth it - expensive - but I feel much better after a day in the workshop (although I'm currently without one until January). When I was using it in the summer, I felt much better that I wasn't breathing in the usual sawdust, especially oak which can be very harmful.

Latest posts

Back