Trend Airshield

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodythepecker

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a decent dust/face mask and i have seen the Trend Airshield on the Axminster website. Bearing in mind that this is run by battery would this respirator be suitable for continues use day in day out? If not can you recommend any other powered unit?

Many thanks

Woody

I can recommend the effectiveness of the Trend Airshield but am not sure of its practical suitability for continuous use because of the battery issue.

It can run with one or two battery packs fitted - the twin pack will last a working day but the problem is that the charger only handles one battery pack at a time. Thus, you need an additional charger as well as the additional packs.

HTH
John

How about a little sideway thinking on this one?

How long does it take to charge a battery pack?

Would this be workable?

Start the day with both packs charged, but only put one in the unit.
Work until lunch on that battery, then put that one on charge.
Work the afternoon on the second pack, which is put on charge when you stop at the end of the day.

There is even a little room for charging one pack in the morning if is not charged over night, or if the morning one has not fully charged in the afternoon.

Confused? You will be :wink:

Thanks John and Dave. If need be i could always get a couple of extra batteries and another charger, but would it protect me day after day, or is it mainly for the diy market where it would not be used so much?

Many Thanks

Woody

Hi Woody,
it seems to be designed for trade use - it is quite robust although light.
It comes with COSE ? certification and record sheets for filter inspection etc. that indicate its trade use intention.

My Airshield gets pretty rough treatment although not daily use -it's about 3 years old - and has not given any trouble.

Woodshavings, thanks, i did not realise that it came with a COSE
certification and record sheets. I will be placing my order tomorrow.

Cheers

Woody

Hi Woody,

I would agree with all that has been said, I have one on review and they are very good. One of the best things about it for me apart from the obvious respiratory benefits is the stream of cool air blown over the face when the weather turns warm.

On the downside I find it gets a little heavy on the head after a while but perhaps this is due to me leaning over a lathe most of the time. I have a neighbour who also uses one but runs it in through a transformer and it works without any batteries, the only problem he has is forgetting he's connected by a wire when he walks away from a dusty bench.

Regards....Mike

Mike wrote:
One of the best things about it for me apart from the obvious respiratory benfits is the stream of cool air blown over the face when the weather turns warm.

I know what you mean. a few years ago my sister had a Racal Airlite (i think that was the name) and this is one of the things she liked about it, but in the end she had to stop using it because when 3M took over the manufacturing they stopped making them and the spare parts about a year later. Axminster did buy up the parts that were left but a couple of years ago they ran out of them and so the Racal was useless.

One thing that she did not like was the fact that unlike the Trend the mask did not flip up and so if you wanted a sip of coffee you had to take it off.

Many Thanks

Woody

Woodythepecker":3czdzo29 said:
One thing that she did not like was the fact that unlike the Trend the mask did not flip up and so if you wanted a sip of coffee you had to take it off.

I don't think I could work without taking sips of coffee, thats why I don't like dust masks in general :cry:

One real plus point for me is that the air flow keeps my specs from misting up. :) I've tried normal visors but my specs mist up in about 5 minutes.

Woody if you do get one i would recomend the little plastic stick on visor saver (not sure of correct name) i would have scratched my visor god knows how many times by now instead of buying a new visor i just rip off the plastic film a put on another one :lol: . BTW i have 1 bat in the charger and 1 bat in the visor seems to work for me .

AB, a packet of 10 peal off protectors come with the Airshield. apparently there something like the ones the Formula 1 drivers use.

I seem to remember that my sisters old Racal had the same sort of thing.

I ordered mine and i was pleased to find out that it comes with an extra battery.

Many thanks

Woody

Back