Trend Airshield Pro - a heads-up on the headband

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
Over the weekend I was tightening the headband on my Trend Airshield Pro (with the knob on the back) and a loud crack was followed by the helmet pretty much falling off my head.

On inspection, the plastic band had shattered in two places - if the middle of your forehead is 12 o'clock and the rear of your head is 6 o'clock, the cracks were around 4 and 8 o'clock.

I ordered a new one (code WP-AIR/P/04) from a third party site as they were a little bit cheaper than Trend, but was surprised to see it was black (my original, dated 04/11, is grey), and there's been a redesign around the weak area - with a jointed/articulated section.

I've just contacted Trend to check this, and they've confirmed the "new ones" are black. They did also say that had I contacted them they'd have provided a replacement for free. No big loss, as I needed the replacement quickly and it wasn't that pricey. But, if your helmet has the original grey design it might be worth checking it, and possibly talking to Trend about getting a replacement.

In the attached image you can see the new model over the old. The crack near the sticker is visible, as is the different section on the new model. I'd taped it up to get a few hours use of the old until the replacement arrived, and the mess at the rear of the image was because I'd been peeling the tape off in order to get a shot of the damage.

20150430_220906.jpg

Attachments

• 20150430_220906.jpg
    20150430_220906.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 2,437
sploo":3u4f2571 said:
I've just contacted Trend to check this, and they've confirmed the "new ones" are black. They did also say that had I contacted them they'd have provided a replacement for free.

I'm surprised at a recent redesign. They're been making these for a VERY long time.

(google) my mistake; I was thinking of the Airstream, which I remember my late father wearing
when driving a "no cab" combine harvester, in the very early seventies.

BugBear

I've had two snap like this which Trend have replaced free of charge.

How opportune mine snapped today and I've only used it a few times. The original model I have has stood up to loads of use. I only upgraded so I could use ear defenders easier. I must admit I prefer the balance/feel of the older model.

I shall contact trend next week.

Gav

I was surprised at their offer to replace any broken units. I could understand replacing a defectively designed original, but replacing a wear-and-tear damaged new one is impressive.

Stewart - are your two snapped units the grey or the black?

Well I contacted trend via email at the weekend over my failed headband. Got a reply yesterday, first working day, saying they do know of a problem with early units and offering a free replacement. New headband arrived today.

What great customer service.

Gav

New headband on its way to me f.o.c. What a result! I've gone through 2 of the grey ones in quick succession and gave up on it, relying on just cobbling it together. Good job I did though, as a couple of months ago I had a large billet of oak come off the lathe and hit right in the face! Floored me, pushed the visor into my face resulting in my glasses being pushed into the bridge of my nose in a spectacular (no pun intended) technicolor sort of way. Cut bruised and with 2 black eyes, I survived to live another day and investigate what went wrong. The airshield survived well without any damage except a scratch to the visor. If I hadn't been wearing it, I might not be here to tell the tale. Makes me want to wear it more often. Top service from Trend. I have a number of tools and accessories from them and they would be my first call when I wan to purchase more. Glad of this thread as I wouldn't have known they had an improved new headband available!

Doc black headband arrived yesterday, and I have just fitted it. It doesn't look any more substantial or stronger than the grey one. It is however a slightly different design and has a slightly articulated part at the back. I have to say the helmet seems to fit better with this headband. It's definitely more comfortable on my dome than the previous one, so I guess I'm more likely to use it!

Honest John":qsx1wxiv said:
Doc black headband arrived yesterday, and I have just fitted it. It doesn't look any more substantial or stronger than the grey one. It is however a slightly different design and has a slightly articulated part at the back. I have to say the helmet seems to fit better with this headband. It's definitely more comfortable on my dome than the previous one, so I guess I'm more likely to use it!
If anything, the new (black) plastic felt a bit more flimsy to me than the grey, but a guy at Trend hinted that it was "improved" (perhaps a more durable material). The main plus is probably the new articulated section - which is exactly where stresses caused cracks in the old (unarticulated) grey headband; at least for me.

I do feel the new one fits better too. Can't really put my finger on it - perhaps it's the articulated section helping it to sit better. In any event, it's certainly a positive step.

Back