***TREND*** 1st and 2nd Places Announcement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations, Alf. Thoroughly deserved.

'Sockets'? I would have thought that a Galoot would just get an enormous dynamo for her bicycle, in order to power a T5. :)

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

jas":lrk085fw said:
'Sockets'? I would have thought that a Galoot would just get an enormous dynamo for her bicycle, in order to power a T5. :)

The Competition Rules

Anyone wishing to enter, must post some work in progress photographs on, or before, the 31st December 2004. Where possible, these photographs should show details of any joints used. The final photographs must be posted on, or before, the 31st January 2005. The winner must also guarantee to use the prize.

So we'll all get to see the photographs. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

PS The rules, of course, do allow us to make changes. (Any further rules or small print will be made up as we go along.)

Well done to all.

Alf what a lovely table.

The judges really do have my admireation, as t must have been really hard to spilt top three and choose the winner.

I would like to throw open an idea. Neil would it be possible to give prizes to the top 3 in the next compo? Yes i know that it must be hard to blag one prize let alone 3, but i believe that it would attrach more entries if members thought that they had a chance of getting a prize.

Regards

Woody

Woody thats a good idea and what Newbie Neil and I have been discussing is to split the competition into;
Level 1 beginner,
Level 2 intermediate
Level 3 "oh my god, I have to compete with Chris(Waterhead). :lol:

It is a bit early days yet but we will have 3 annual subscriptions to The Woodworker and Woodturner as prizes plus at least one star prize which will be a tool of some sort.

As I have to do a lot of work in MDF the current idea is that the entry would have to include some man made element, either man made board, MDF, ply etc or some other non wood element, (not including hinges screws etc). This would mean that all the turners out there would be able to enter.

Another idea is that entries could be made via the post so that those without digital cameras and/or the ability/patience to post pictures on the net could also enter.

Any thoughts would be welcome

Keith

Keith, your not going to believe me when i say it, but i was also going to mention the non digital camera members and different categories but i thought that i was pushing it mentioning the 3 prizes. That is bloody weird. The Twilight Zone

Anyway excellent ideas from yourself and Neil. I am sure there will be a lot more entires.
Regards

Woody

KeithS":2xpg659v said:
Level 3 "oh my god, I have to compete with Chris(Waterhead). :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Although not so funny if you really do have to compete with Chris... :shock:

The thing is though, how d'you decide who comes into which catergory? And what about those members who've had the advantage of courses and training, as opposed to those of us who've had to make all our mistakes without professional assistance...? As far as making it more accessible to the digitally-challenged, that's a good idea - although there's been nothing to stop anyone asking for some help in that respect. However one of the main ideas behind the competitions on this site have been to get WIP pictures and stuff which make a real contribution to the interest on the forum - and make an internet-based competition different from one in a mag. Who's volunteering to be the uploader of other people's submissions, maybe involving a dozen or more pictures for each entrant? Perhaps individual entrants could organise their own "picture buddy" from amongst the membership, to spread the (up)load a bit? Although anyone who hasn't taken the digital camera plunge, seriously consider it. Even the lowliest camera will take pics good enough for online viewing, and it's a jolly useful tool for internet discussions such as we have here. A picture's worth a thousand words and all that. :)

Anyway, just some thoughts as they struck me really.

Cheers, Alf

Good thoughts too Alf.
Congratulations on the win and to the runners up. (There I go, on-topic again :roll: )
Won't folks have some idea themselves which catagory they come into? Might the prizes reflect the "skill" level and so encourage people into the right catagory?
Only other question is, which catagory is Chris Waterhead going to be in? :wink:

Hi Aragorn

Aragorn":103kbg65 said:
Only other question is, which catagory is Chris Waterhead going to be in? :wink:

As "The Woodworker" and "Woodturner" are being kind enough to donate multiple prizes, I thought the first category might be as follows: -

Chris Waterhead
All professional woodworkers
Anyone who has had an article pubished in a WW magazine
Any prize winner of the last two competitions
Anyone who feels they should be in the top category

On a very personal note I think the following should be added to the first category as well: -

Anyone who has had a tip published in a WW magazine (Tony)
Anyone who uses hand tools
Anyone who hasn't got a Jet SS
Anyone who has a d*d* fitted to their Jet SS
Anyone who hasn't got, at least, four routers with tails
Anyone whose first name isn't Neil
Anyone who isn't Welsh

That just leaves me so can I have my prize now, please Keith? :roll:

Cheers
Neil

PS Gill, have you moved the bunker?

I have thought of a way out of this!

If anyone who has old-fashioned photos they want uploaded, send them to me and I will do it.

(Since that makes me an interested party I shall have to declare a conflict of interest and cheer from the sidelines!)

Lots of good ideas so keep them coming especially if they are the same as mine Woody :wink:

Come on Chris there is NO POINT :roll: being modest, we have all seen too much of your work.

I agree with Alf as well, the pictures would have to be posted here.....but ... my thought is that beginners level would only need say 2 pictures, only one work in progress picture needed and one of the finished article, no write up of construction either.

Intermediate level, four pictures plus short construction details

Advanced level minimum 6 pictures and full construction details

Just my thoughts so far

Keith

There should definitely be a marquetry category
Tin+hat+smiley.gif

Gill

Keith, if you adopt beginners, intermediate etc what criteria will be used for entrants to decide which level to go for? How will judges decide?

Noelly I would hope that most people would be realistic about their skill level, plus it is a lot easier to enter the beginners section (as it only needs a couple of pictures).

If the judges felt that an entry needed moving from one category to another then they would have to consult the entrant prior to actual scoring.

I did think that there could be a better prize for the advanced level but I am going off that idea as only the relatively few would get a crack at the star prize. I am leaning toward a winner from each section getting a magazine subscription and then choosing one overall winner from the three (perhaps for the most imaginative or attractive or unusual use of a man made material) who would win the star prize.

Woody has just sent me a PM with a very good idea, I'll see if it's possible next week, then I'll post details.

Keith

I think I'll declare now that I won't be entering the next competition, so I'm available for picture uploading/judging if required. It's not just cowardice, honest...

Maybe a minimum number of pics, but more if desired? After all many of us don't have the gift of the gab and would find a picture more helpful to explain what we did. Extra consideration given to cock-ups overcome (aka "Design Opportunities") - we all have them, after all? I don't know about anyone else, but I like to hear warts and all; it makes me feel better about my own "DO's" and also I have a better appreciation of the finished article and how the maker's overcome the troubles. But if no-one else feels this way, say so and I'll stop putting my own "DO's" up to public scrutiny! :oops: :lol:

Well I've rambled enough on this. Whatever's decided, I hope there'll be lots of entries.

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Neil, the last two comps - remind me. That's the Trend one and...?

Me too. We have just sorted soem outdoor furniture and I won't be making any more , so I am free to judge once again

However, I should point out that after seeing Steve Maskery's work recently, he should be in the same super-advanced category as Chris :lol: :lol: (sorry Steve, it's just jealousy)

Back