Tree to kiln to bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogmonster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just finished my very first bowl that came from a tree I actually cut down. It is also the first bowl I have finished from my kiln. OK, so I picked a roughed out bowl with a split in it that dictated the shape and the result ain't a work of art but it is satisfying to follow the process from beginning to end. I have chopped up, roughed, air dried and turned wind fall before but this is a step further. The tree was a small American walnut that a friend wanted out of their garden. I think the split was a result of an air leak in the kiln that let all the moisture escape to quickly. I have a few more dried roughed out bowls to play with (without any splits :) ) and some more in the kiln - some hoofing great big ash bowls.

This bowl is 10" by 3"

wbowl1.jpg

wbowl2.jpg

blanks.jpg

BM

The photo does make the underside look very strange. It is not so strange in the flesh. I think I was too close with the camera so it all looks out of perspective. Excuses aside the shape isn't quite right.....

The kiln is very similar in design to one made by a chap called Ian Salisbury. Chest freezer, fans, tube heater, zone valve to let air out, controllers to open and close valve and control temp. If you follow this design preferably get a freezer that has been professionally de-gassed. With care and by carefully selecting where you drill you can make the kiln without de-gassing and leaving the compressor in-situ. Please don't de-gas the freezer yourself because that is very bad news.....

I have a lot of experience messing about with old fridges and the like. I use them to ferment beer and have a converted one with 4 kegs in and a set of taps :D

I hope it is ok to link elsewhere and I hope Ian does not mind:

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Projects/low_cost_kiln.pdf

The mistake I made was not to seal where the wires came into the freezer. There was enough of a gap to let damp air escape and to lose humidity too quickly. Silicon sealant fixed that blunder. Also, water ran down the wires into the terminal block. Please be very careful about earthing this if you make one!

BM

Back