Tree ID Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybiter

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend who's into churchy stuff saved some short logs for me from her church's fallen limb. I've painted the ends with BlackJack bitumen paint, and split two pieces that had some cracks across the centre.

However I am wondering if it's worth preserving, and asking for the rest of it when it's felled soon. Searching on the net [and consulting Mrs. M.] suggests a type of Poplar to me, what does the panel think?

DSCF1018k.jpg

DSCF1017ck.jpg

DSCF1016k.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1016k.jpg
    DSCF1016k.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCF1017ck.jpg
    DSCF1017ck.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCF1018k.jpg
    DSCF1018k.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 140
I'm pretty sure it is a Poplar - possibly Black? It's been a long time since I've seen one. Don't think it's White, or Aspen or obviously Lombarded.

You could get a few pairs of clogs out of that lot.

Jonzjob":m8vbjraf said:
Definately not a Eucalypt. The bark is totally wrong.. I am under the impression the camoflage clothing was designed from the eucalyptus bark..

Birch???

Birch would be my guess too.

Thanks chaps, based on views so far and using the link from foxhunter I think it is Black Poplar. The leaf shape is right for Birch but the edges are smoother and the bark is not flaky papery like Birch. The photo's could have been better.

Anybody know if it's any good for turning ? I don't think I'd have the patience to try and split it into boards.

Latest posts

Back