Treatment for ground contact wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamG340

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all we're doing some work in the garden, I'm putting a boarder between the grass and a flower bed. I've picked up some fresh sawn untreated 4x2 doug fir for the job

For fence posts I'd normally burn and mineral oil them but I don't want that look

can anyone recommend a good treatment ?

You are a little limited as anything you use may need to be plant friendly but in a similar project a year ago I used black bitumen paint but left it to fully dry and harden off ,, I then simply used weed control fabric on the bitumen side stapled 6 inches from the top of the boarder , on the facing side I’ve took a chance and used creosote. Lots of plant friendly options but can be expensive. Treat any end grain also with suitable end grain sealer.

You are a little limited as anything you use may need to be plant friendly but in a similar project a year ago I used black bitumen paint but left it to fully dry and harden off ,, I then simply used weed control fabric on the bitumen side stapled 6 inches from the top of the boarder , on the facing side I’ve took a chance and used creosote. Lots of plant friendly options but can be expensive. Treat any end grain also with suitable end grain sealer.
Ps I also remember reading about using linseed oil .

Ps I also remember reading about using linseed oil .

Yes ! Absolutely problem solved not sure why I didn't think about that myself

I did some wooden knife handles with linseed they're still great & they have a hard life in our house.

Thank you (y)

I used 'ecosote' on some sleepers recently, too early to tell you how good it is, it doesn't seem to bead off water as some products do, but brushes wash in water, and it isn't covered with hazard warnings which makes it nicer to use IMO, as per the name it is marketed as an eco friendly creosote substitute. it was slightly cheaper than creocote in the builder's merchants, and gets quite good reviews on amazon (for what that is worth)

On an Eco level I thought Tanalised timber when dry was fine in ground contact, as the preservative is fixed and does not leach out into the soil. I used Tanalised scaffolding boards over 25 years ago to edge borders next to a shingle path and I believe they are still fine. The plants in the are always looked healthy, infact the ground cover that climbed over the board regularly needed trimming back.
The chemical is CCA, Copper, Chromium, Arsenic, and is I believe the same as Green Cuprinol.

Colin

Hi all we're doing some work in the garden, I'm putting a boarder between the grass and a flower bed.
I wouldn't put a boarder there, you might get accused of murder. CCA was banned 15 years ago. Linseed outdoors I've found to be a waste of time and money. I doubt you'll find a happy balance between anything's being environmentally friendly and actually working.

The alternative is no treatment and just steal yourself to replace them as required, no danger to plants that way.

Depending on your budget and how much you don't want to treat and retreat your timber, you may also try hardwood sleepers. If you're planning on moving house in 5 years time then the cheap option may be best. However, if you're in for the long haul, then there are several tropical or semi-tropical timbers which are frequently used as railway sleepers or in making riverside jetties. Many of these species are not prized for other purposes due to other properties or defects so are relatively cheap, however they can be extremely durable. It may be worth doing some research on the internet. Search terms like Azobe/Ekki and Jarrah should get you started. Reclaimed (or even new) untreated railway sleepers are sometimes available.
Good luck in your search.

I definately think the thicker the better when it comes to wood and the ground, but it is ultimately a ticking clock whatever you do. sometimes that is not a problem, but have just done some repairs on a neighbour's pergola where wooden (now rotten) uprights are holding a lot of weight off the ground

When I edged the flower boarder to my Red Robin fence, about 45m of it, I just cut some Oak logs in half along their length and laid them on the ground, still there ten years later although the bark has fallen off.

I think the NSPCC might have something to say about all
this frivolous use of boarders. Plus, they probably would
want to go home at the weekends.
Try looking for borders, they're much more reliable.

I think the NSPCC might have something to say about all
this frivolous use of boarders. Plus, they probably would
want to go home at the weekends.
Try looking for borders, they're much more reliable.

Tell you this they didn't enjoy painting with creosote this morning . Apparently they have "rights" and what I'm doing is "inhumane"

Back