Treating wood on outdoor furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldman

Established Member
Reaction score
My daughter bought some metal framed garden furniture with removable fabric seat covers, the wood near edges of the fabric soon got showered on and started to get water stains. She wrongly assumed it was pre treated to repel water.
She would like to treat the wood before it goes outside again but doesnt want to change the colour too much. Recommendations please?
The wood is quite smooth, will light sanding remove the water staining before treating?
wood stain.jpg
wood stain.jpg

This year I tried this it was a reasonable price from Amazon and goes on very easy with a paintbrush and good coverage. I find treating garden furniture one of the most boring tasks in the world so I want it done quickly. This stuff was very easy to apply especially between slats. It dries fairly quickly and isn't a stain, so it should bring out the natural colour of the wood. I did two coats. I'm not sure how much protection it actually gives. I have used more concentrated teak oil, but that was tedious to apply.
I cover my garden furniture during winter. I see garden furniture as disposable. It lasts a few years, but eventually seems to deteriorate no matter what you do. I never buy really expensive wooden garden furniture, so that might be the reason?

Thanks for the reply, I do have teak oil that I use on the outside hardwood frame of some doors here. I hadnt really considered it for this furniture as it has a smell that lingers for weeks afterwards, or at least the brand I use does, maybe I have a very sensitive nose ;) I will suggest she tries some on a reverse slat first. I just happen to have a new 2ltr tub of the brand you linked, so we will try that.

Owatrol textrol is good for those sort of thing it is super thin like water and soaks right in.

Ollie

Latest posts

Back