Treating rust on washing machine and preventing further rusting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterfish

Established Member
Reaction score
We have an old washing machine that works well but has a problem of rusting around the dispenser drawer on the metal cabinet and the dispenser drawer itself.

Can anyone recommend something that will treat the existing rust and stop it recurring. I seem to remember (many, many, many years ago) adverts for stuff that converted rust to some super inert form of iron that also produced an almost bullet-proof layer that protected from further corrosion and could ...then be painted over to blend in with the original paint?

Jeff (aka Misterfish)

As above or Hammerite's Kurust, then apply a top coat of Hammerite White Smooth. Certainly does the job on my old freezer, now converted to an outside wood kiln and drawing the attention of my two male dogs who frequently pee up it!

All depends on how you want it to look afterwards. If you want it to look as good as new then sort it the same way you would your car. if not then jelonite and a quick bit of spray paint

Thanks. It lives in or utility room so if I can make it look OK despite my lack of skills then that will be a good improvement. I'll see how it goes!

Jeff

Latest posts

Back