Treadle powered fret saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolNik

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks. I am reasonably new to this forum and this is the first time I have ventured into the Scrollsaw section. I am wanted to acquire a working treadle powered fret saws roll saw but there doesn’t ever seem to be an option of getting one in New Zealand, so I need some advice and help

firstly, does anyone know of someone who wishes to sell their vintage treadle power fret saw? Or, would anyone be willing to do me a favour of assisting in the purchase and dismantling (or just packaging as is) for me to arrange for the collection and shipping to NZ. As an example, there is a vintage fret saw advertised on EBay today, but the vendor only wants pick up. I would need assistance with the collection and then would you to stack the machine in the corner of your spare room while I arrange for collection from you place and then wrapping for shipping. In return would expect that a large bottle of your favourite tipple would be delivered to you! Anyone willing to help??

please if you know of someone willing to sell a machine, then please let them know that I am actively looking. Thanks to everyone for reading.
Robyn

Hi folks. I am reasonably new to this forum and this is the first time I have ventured into the Scrollsaw section. I am wanted to acquire a working treadle powered fret saws roll saw but there doesn’t ever seem to be an option of getting one in New Zealand, so I need some advice and help

firstly, does anyone know of someone who wishes to sell their vintage treadle power fret saw? Or, would anyone be willing to do me a favour of assisting in the purchase and dismantling (or just packaging as is) for me to arrange for the collection and shipping to NZ. As an example, there is a vintage fret saw advertised on EBay today, but the vendor only wants pick up. I would need assistance with the collection and then would you to stack the machine in the corner of your spare room while I arrange for collection from you place and then wrapping for shipping. In return would expect that a large bottle of your favourite tipple would be delivered to you! Anyone willing to help??

please if you know of someone willing to sell a machine, then please let them know that I am actively looking. Thanks to everyone for reading.
Robyn

I certainly do not KNOW, but bearing in mind the UK/NZ history, and the popularity of scrolling back, say, 100 years ago, I would be very surprised if some checking of local ads, internet, perhaps even advertising as Wanted yourself (?) wouldn't throw up something, most likely a Hobbies treadle machine.

Back in the day they produced literally thousands of various models, amongst other things a lot for schools, and it seems they went just about everywhere in the English-speaking world.

If you can find something "locally" it would certainly beat a fair bit of hassle with packing, shipping, Customs, etc, etc.

Good luck with your search.

As AES says above a huge number of Treadle fretsaws were made and sold from the 1880's up until the 1960's. Hobbies in the UK made 100's of thousands of fret-machines during this period which they exported all over the world, the most popular being the A1 and Gem models.
I have zero knowledge of their availability in NZ except that Hobbies would have sent many to that country.
They often appear for sale in the UK and sell at very low prices. A search on ebay UK shows at least six machines available here at the moment. :)

Latest posts

Back