travellers injunction, starting a book.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alan Jones":130gi4e5 said:
I find your post extremely offensive Roy. Try changing travellers to Pakis, Niggers or Coons and see how it reads :roll:

Just out of interest why would you be offended by this??

I never have got this, I know people from pakistan who refer themselves as 'pakis', i also know african people who do the same using the n word........................... i suppose being called a brit(ish) would offend some then?

Here we have another example of how the PC brigade have changed our language to fit their views.
When the twin states of east and west Pakistan were formed in the 40s the name came from the states that broke away from India.
They were P = Punjab.
A = Assam.
K = Kashmir.
The Stan meaning 'Land of.'
Soooo, take Uzbekistan, land of the Uzbeks. Thus the correct definition of someone from Pakistan is 'Pak!'

Roy.

Tom K":2nfasqxm said:
(homer) Doubt many Dale Farm residents have spent any time in Ireland on the whole they arent Irish they are travellers as opposed to Romani Gypsies although there may be a few Didicoys in there. It will certainly be interesting io see how we deport EU citizens between EU states when they can't even get them off an illegal camp site? (hammer)
'Couldn't agree more,over here( IRELAND) they're called 'tinkers' . . .dating back from the time when they sold pots,pans,tin buckets and other metal goods ,you could here them coming because of the sound of the metal 'tinking' on the carts they pulled. The only place I have heard the word traveller is England. I do not think many of these travellers are Irish.

The reason the word is used here and not in Ireland psw could be that Ireland used a different road taxation system?
My father lived with Gypsies and said that the term comes from their habit of using the back lanes to avoid the turn Pike charges.
Seems that tax evasion has a long history!

Roy.

Digit":3tycx5ql said:
The reason the word is used here and not in Ireland psw could be that Ireland used a different road taxation system?
My father lived with Gypsies and said that the term comes from their habit of using the back lanes to avoid the turn Pike charges.
Seems that tax evasion has a long history!

Roy.
Ahh...I always wondered where the word came from...

And Gypsies BTW call us Gorgios.
Locally our Council is a joke, and has been for many years.
If you leave Cardign, heading north, you pass a side road on your left. On the town side, south, there was a toll gate.
South of the toll gate was, and is, a side road that connects the town side with the side road, neatly by-passing the toll gate.
The toll owners were not happy!

Roy.

Well thanks for clearing that up Roger ( traveller is a pejorative slang term used mainly in the United Kingdom[1][2] to refer to Irish Travellers, gypsies or people of low social class ) even if it was at the expense of completely contradicting yourself. :lol:
There was me thinking you were a racist bigot when you were just ignorant of the facts :roll:

Among English Romani Gypsies the term traveller refers to a Traveller that is not Romani.

You missed that bit, so now Gypsies are racist as well.
Bernie Grant will be spinning in his grave!

Roy.

Alan Jones":lctwwjn6 said:
I find your post extremely offensive Roy. Try changing travellers to Pakis, Niggers or Coons and see how it reads :roll:

Alan... didn't mean to offend you...... unless you're a traveller! :?

In which case, STOP stealing car number plates and driving off without paying for your petrol.

In all the news footage (TV and papers) of the pi... er... Travellers (OK Alan?... even though they DON'T travel), you will notice it's only women and children. NO BLOKES. There have been hundreds of 'Caught on Camera' pics in our local rags of petrol thefts from filling stations, using stolen number plates. Almost invariably white transit vans and pick-ups. The day the traveller blokes show up in the news footage.... INSTANT MATCH!!

Everyone round here knows someone that's had their number plates stolen.

Roy

Roy.

Alan Jones":ahdwprnd said:
Well thanks for clearing that up Roger ( traveller is a pejorative slang term used mainly in the United Kingdom[1][2] to refer to Irish Travellers, gypsies or people of low social class ) even if it was at the expense of completely contradicting yourself. :lol:
There was me thinking you were a racist bigot when you were just ignorant of the facts :roll:

But they are not a 'race' therefore traveller is not a racist comment.

Too much is banged on about the use of words. That's simply cr*p. It's the intent with which the words are used ...I'd put your concern in the same ludicrous camp as some people mithering about the use of the word Chairman and insisting that Chairperson be used. Does absolutely b*gger all to improve the lot of women and has the complete opposite effect as it belittles the issue in question and the person making the complaint.

RogerS":3ccxtm3b said:
But they are not a 'race' therefore traveller is not a racist comment....
It's a deliberate insult used by bigots to decry a particular portion of society.
"Races" themselves are a racist concept ("social constructs") and mean more to racists than others.
"Coloured" people aren't a race as such any more than travellers, so attacks on either (on the basis of their social group, common history or whatever way your particular prejudice lies) could equally well be called racist.

Jacob":1157hjms said:
RogerS":1157hjms said:
It's a deliberate insult used by bigots to decry a particular portion of society.

Whre does the term 'towel head' (swiftly removed by the moderators) as used by you on another forum come in?

andy king":2hpycb6d said:
Jacob":2hpycb6d said:
RogerS":2hpycb6d said:

Whre does the term 'towel head' (swiftly removed by the moderators) as used by you on another forum come in?

Petard...hoisted !! Well done, Andy.. :lol:

It's not so much the usage more the intention. I can be caught out making feeble bad taste jokes just like anybody else!

My wife has just told me about the er... pi.... er traveller wedding she was invited to once.

She had never seen so many Ferraris, Jaguars, indeed any VERY expensive car you could imagine in one place. The bride and groom were staggering under the cash and gold ornaments thrust upon them.

I'm quite sure they also have iPads, huge TV screens etc etc in their luxury 'mobile' homes. Strange that for a group that seems to want an alternative lifestyle and make little or no contribution to 'house dweller' (what a weasel phrase that is) society, they seem to want all the benefits without having to pay for it - although I suppose some of them might have paid cash for one or two items.

Bankers and others in the financial sector are like that too. Loadsamoney, no idea what to spend it on except flash gear, and tax avoiding all the time.
Surprising how much they have in common - anti tax, anti regulations etc. I'm surprised the right don't support the travellers more.

Jacob":335uv4l4 said:
It's not so much the usage more the intention. I can be caught out making feeble bad taste jokes just like anybody else!

I seem to remember you banging on about racist jokes, Jacob, on another thread. So it's OK then for you to make a feeble bad taste joke and it's not racist but for others to make similar jokes then it is? Perhaps you could explain the difference?

Just to stir the pot, and to avoid certain people screaming 'racist, bigot, Daily mail reader etc, I'll just ask.
Anyone seen any of the reports on the affects of immigration on travellers?
(Noted on traveller support groups, county council reports etc?) Why so many have ceased travelling?

Roy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back