Traveling chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Traditonally made of hardwood with brass furniture but pine should be fine for this day and age. Just make sure it it well drie/seasoned

Just reading a book on vernacular furniture; Irish Country Furniture. A 'dowry chest' was commonly made to be transportable, typically comes in two seperate parts, drawers underneath and a truck sitting on top. The trunk sometimes had a domed or slanted top to discourage people using it as a seat or table!

Country makers used whatever wood was available, typically 'deal', i.e. pine.

Just reading a book on vernacular furniture; Irish Country Furniture. A 'dowry chest' was commonly made to be transportable, typically comes in two seperate parts, drawers underneath and a truck sitting on top. The trunk sometimes had a domed or slanted top to discourage people using it as a seat or table!

Country makers used whatever wood was available, typically 'deal', i.e. pine.
Interesting do you have any pictures....

https://paulsellers.com/2011/12/hope-chest-progress/
Paul Sellers makes a hope (dowry) chest.

Maybe I'll make the girls a dowry chest each?!

That will get the feminists in uproar!!!

From Irish Country Furniture and Furnishings 1700-2000, Claudia Kinmonth

Dowry chest of dovetailed construction, that comes apart into two pieces, the top slightly domed, the base with drawers flanked be incised carvings. Scumbled paintwork reminiscent of satinwood.
20220118_193902.jpg

"Pine dowry chest with original scumble woodgraining, c.1800. Carved chevrons and rope mouldings were often used to decorate these cheats, which were often of the same two part form"
20220118_193927.jpg

You can read this caption.
20220118_193958.jpg

"The dowry chest is one of the only pieces of furniture that consistently had so much trouble taken over its construction. Dovetails for example, were very rarely used in the making of other pieces. The fact that the chests were used to store money and other valuables suggests that the dovetailed construction was for reasons of security rather than aesthetics"

My late mother-in-law' dowry chest, full of fine linen, hand made nightdresses, monogrammed handkerchiefs and all sorts, is coming back with us next time we're in Sicily. My wife's siblings have no interest in it.

Attachments

• 20220118_193927.jpg
    20220118_193927.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 4
From Irish Country Furniture and Furnishings 1700-2000, Claudia Kinmonth

Dowry chest of dovetailed construction, that comes apart into two pieces, the top slightly domed, the base with drawers flanked be incised carvings. Scumbled paintwork reminiscent of satinwood.
View attachment 127331

"Pine dowry chest with original scumble woodgraining, c.1800. Carved chevrons and rope mouldings were often used to decorate these cheats, which were often of the same two part form"
View attachment 127333

You can read this caption.
View attachment 127335

"The dowry chest is one of the only pieces of furniture that consistently had so much trouble taken over its construction. Dovetails for example, were very rarely used in the making of other pieces. The fact that the chests were used to store money and other valuables suggests that the dovetailed construction was for reasons of security rather than aesthetics"

My late mother-in-law' dowry chest, full of fine linen, hand made nightdresses, monogrammed handkerchiefs and all sorts, is coming back with us next time we're in Sicily. My wife's siblings have no interest in it.
Thanks for the info would love to see it when it arrives!

Several years before I need to make my first daughters!!

Not something I made, or a chest of drawers, but a nice price of campaign furniture which was passed down through the family.
5B5152FD-52AD-4FFB-A626-2D4AE6A57FB8.jpeg

it is in three sections. Well 4 if you count the top price as an extra peice (it locates onto a couple of dowels.). It is 5’ 6” high.
image.jpg

I think it actually saw service as there are various chalk markings on the back and the remains of some labels
4CFEB7EA-405F-4B26-9F6D-E9A0EAD7727D.jpeg

It is made of Oak with pegged mortise and tennons throughout. All the panels are ply.

Not something I made, or a chest of drawers, but a nice price of campaign furniture which was passed down through the family.
View attachment 127346
it is in three sections. Well 4 if you count the top price as an extra peice (it locates onto a couple of dowels.). It is 5’ 6” high.
View attachment 127347
I think it actually saw service as there are various chalk markings on the back and the remains of some labels
View attachment 127348
It is made of Oak with pegged mortise and tennons throughout. All the panels are ply.
That looks interesting perhaps for one of my daughters! The other has dyslexia like me!

Back