Traveling chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be fun to show up with this at the airport
1642415262882.png

Plywood.....Coughsplutter!!

Other than that, no, but I have made a couple of chests and highly recommend it.
Agreed but I was thinking about weight/cost and as they would only be moved infrequently you would see the plywood up against a wall? Much like a chest of drawers....

Agreed but I was thinking about weight/cost and as they would only be moved infrequently you would see the plywood up against a wall? Much like a chest of drawers....
I was only messing about.

I wonder if thin poplar would be just as cost efficient. You'd have to do the drawers the old way with the boards running back to front though, but it works well.

I was only messing about.

I wonder if thin poplar would be just as cost efficient. You'd have to do the drawers the old way with the boards running back to front though, but it works well.
Or I could use thin ply.

It's oak flooring I have so if I knock off one if the grooves I have a rebate for the base..

Plywood has been in use for over two centuries, it’s not exactly a modern material.

A travelling chest isn’t a common item now (though Rimowa make the modern equivalent, they are lovely). But something that can be a blanket chest, toy box etc. is a useful thing still,

I made one for my nephew years ago when he was about 10 or something. Painted army green with a hasp so he could lock it and keep the treasures safe from his brother.(Mum had a spare key ;) )

Its a nice idea, but I wonder how well it will fit into their lifestyles when they first leave home?

My daughter hasn't lived at home for 10 years, and has only just now got a house of her own - a smallish semi. In those 10 years she has worked in 2 different cities and studied in the Uk and Canada, living in a variety of rented flats and shared houses. Space is always at a premium, and moving is best done with a heap of Lidl/Aldi 'bags for life' and IKEA blue bags which can be bundled up when not in use. Anything that needs 2 hands or 2 people to carry up stairs is a liability. My son is still in a small rented shared city flat. Likely a year or few before he gets established more permanently.

If they have plans to stay put then fine, if it's a peripatetic lifestyle maybe wait a bit. In either case, unless they have the luxury of spare space, maybe make it with a flat top so it can be used as a coffee table or have stuff stored on it.

Thanks

Good suggestions.

My daughters I expect will leave home Dr/vet etc the boys could have Italian blood and stay for sometime.

Dad's removals will be the one lifting it!

Also would you make drawer sides and back out of oak or is it acceptable to make them out if good pine?

we moved country and changed our email address as soon as they left.....
and we said there's no comming back.....hahaha.....
All grown up now and doing their thing....

Latest posts

Back