Travel via GB post-Brexit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just4Fun

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about customs arrangements post-Brexit?

A friend here in Finland has asked for me to help him with a car deal. This means driving with motor home and trailer to a second hand car dealer in Northern Ieland. In the trailer will be a car which he will give in part exchange for another car, which we will bring back in the trailer. The cars are competition cars and there will be spare parts to go with both cars.

That sort of thing used to be easy, but I don't know the current situation re customs, taxes, import/export regulations etc.

The dealer claims that Northern Ireland still operates as it did when the UK was in the EU, so no additional taxes like VAT or import duty are payable. I assume this is the Northern Ireland protocol that is in the news so much. Rather than trust a car dealer who has a vested interest I would like to get confirmation of that.

What about transporting the cars across the UK, going to and coming from Northern Ireland? All vehicles will be leaving GB just as soon as we can drive across the country from one side to the other. Do we need any paperwork to confirm that? Do we need to declare anything at customs, in either direction?

I can't help on that, and I doubt you will get a clear answer from anyone. You might try a helpline. Search on www.gov.uk for a list of post Brexit import export helplines.

Assuming the Irish border is transparent, has he considered the Dublin to Cherbourg ferry, avoids our anti-everything border guards completely.

It sounds like this is a used non-road car yes? If so then nothing much has changed as long as you have proof. If any parts are new then you’ll need to declare on entry to the EU end state rather than any you travel through, should be same for UK even if from NI as it’s final destination that counts. If you didn’t pay/reclaimed UK VAT then it will need to be paid. Finland then can have own rules on additional charges etc or not on top of that.
I purchased a track car in Scotland and had no issue transporting here to France. Wasn’t even stopped on exit and since it is old no taxes to pay unless I register for the road here. At that point duty etc is calculated and charged. Had it been new, or for road use I would have had to declare on entry and pay taxes/duty within 30 days.
I was checked over on return to Calais (by the French) but allowed to carry on. Guess have to get used to that but no biggie.
quick edit: should point out that mine was a purchase from a private individual not a dealer which may be a different matter. Also of course, didn’t go on the Irish sea although had a view of it from Skye where I picked up the car from.

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about customs arrangements post-Brexit?

A friend here in Finland has asked for me to help him with a car deal. This means driving with motor home and trailer to a second hand car dealer in Northern Ieland. In the trailer will be a car which he will give in part exchange for another car, which we will bring back in the trailer. The cars are competition cars and there will be spare parts to go with both cars.

That sort of thing used to be easy, but I don't know the current situation re customs, taxes, import/export regulations etc.

The dealer claims that Northern Ireland still operates as it did when the UK was in the EU, so no additional taxes like VAT or import duty are payable. I assume this is the Northern Ireland protocol that is in the news so much. Rather than trust a car dealer who has a vested interest I would like to get confirmation of that.

What about transporting the cars across the UK, going to and coming from Northern Ireland? All vehicles will be leaving GB just as soon as we can drive across the country from one side to the other. Do we need any paperwork to confirm that? Do we need to declare anything at customs, in either direction?
I'd say you best bet would be to skip the UK mainland and get a ferry from France (I think it is) to the Republic of Ireland, then drive across to NI.

Then you might get more of what it should be as opposed to what it actually is.

@richard C Thanks or the suggestion. Sadly, that is an overly-optimistic approach. I have spent ages going through UK government web pages, reading huge amounts, watching various videos, and slowly losing the will to live. On the other hand, if anyone needs a cure for insomnia I can confirm tat this activity is very effective.

The Dublin to Cherbourg ferry is a long way around - it adds 600 Km each way, which would take a while. We haven't ruled it out though.

@IBmatty The cars are rally cars, so they have to be registered for use on the road.
My friend knows the system at the Finnish end, so that is no problem. It is the GB/UK procedure that is not clear.

It looks like the deal will go ahead, and we will travel over the week after next. That gives me a little time to work things out.

@richard C Thanks or the suggestion. Sadly, that is an overly-optimistic approach. I have spent ages going through UK government web pages, reading huge amounts, watching various videos, and slowly losing the will to live. On the other hand, if anyone needs a cure for insomnia I can confirm tat this activity is very effective.

The Dublin to Cherbourg ferry is a long way around - it adds 600 Km each way, which would take a while. We haven't ruled it out though.

@IBmatty The cars are rally cars, so they have to be registered for use on the road.
My friend knows the system at the Finnish end, so that is no problem. It is the GB/UK procedure that is not clear.

It looks like the deal will go ahead, and we will travel over the week after next. That gives me a little time to work things out.
Just get details of purchase address etc. on documents to prove you are moving within the EU regime. I moved from NI a few months ago and had to look into all these issues.

You could maybe try contacting a Shipping agent and ask their advice, i would think the system would be the same for them as agents as for you acting as an agent for your friend. might be worth a shot and its only the cost of a phone call if it does not.

We are now on the way back from the trip. In the end we basically did nothing - just turned up at the ferries with the cars. Nobody questioned anything. Nobody asked for a list of what we were carrying. Nothing. It was as if Brexit hadn't happened.

Well that's a result then. I'm off to France and then NL for 5 weeks on Sunday/Monday after 2 years of re-planning. POst Brexit I cannot even take a cheese sandwich to eat on the the way, let alone a fridge full of goodies to bide me over for a few days whilst we settle into a routine. It would however appear that customs are not checking caravans and motorhomes for illicit bacon and sausages, so I'm going to risk it.

Colin

Back